William Roffen Esterson MP (born 27 October 1966) is the Labour MP for Sefton Central, first elected at the 2010 general election. He has served on the following Select Committees; Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; Education, Community and Local Government, Treasury. Esterson was appointed as Shadow Minister for Small Business in September 2015.
Official parliamentary portrait, June 2017
|Member of Parliament |
for Sefton Central
|Assumed office |
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Constituency Created|
William Roffen Esterson
27 October 1966
|Alma mater||University of Leeds|
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Prior to being elected as an MP, he was the Labour Councillor for River Ward in Medway, a unitary authority in Kent. When Medway Council was created in 1997, Esterson was elected to represent Town Ward. He represented Town Ward until 2003, when boundary changes were implemented. He was a previous councillor for St Margaret's and Borstal ward on Rochester-upon-Medway City Council which was dissolved to form Medway Council.
Esterson contributed to the Hillsborough debate in the House of Commons on 17 October 2011 by reading directly the words of a bereaved father. In September 2011 he contributed to the book What next for Labour? Ideas for a new generation, his piece was entitled A Campaigning Party.
In January 2015, Esterson proposed a bill which would introduce compulsory labelling of alcoholic drinks warning about potential dangers from drinking during pregnancy. Esterson has been the Shadow Minister for Small Business since September 2015. However, he supported Owen Smith in the failed attempt to replace Jeremy Corbyn in the 2016 Labour Party (UK) leadership election. In 2019 Esterson was a Shadow Minister for International Trade.
Esterson is married with two children.
- "No. 61230". The London Gazette. 18 May 2015. p. 9118.
- "Bill Esterson MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Bill Esterson". Politics.co.uk. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "Bill Esterson". politics.co.uk.
- Profile, whatnextforlabour.com; accessed 17 May 2016.
- "Women should not drink 'at all' during pregnancy, says MP". BBC News. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/economy/house/house-magazine/98319/bill-esterson-%E2%80%9Cwere-clearly-going-be-worse-outside para 3.
- "Full list of MPs and MEPs backing challenger Owen Smith". LabourList. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Official Opposition frontbench". 9 March 2019 – via Wikipedia.