Bhutila Karpoche (born 1983 or 1984) is a Canadian politician, who was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in the 2018 provincial election. She represents the riding of Parkdale—High Park as a member of the Ontario New Democratic Party.
Bhutila Karpoche in 2018
|Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament|
for Parkdale—High Park
|Assumed office |
June 7, 2018
|Preceded by||Cheri DiNovo|
|Born||1983/1984 (age 34–35)|
|Political party||New Democratic|
|Alma mater||University of British Columbia, University of Toronto|
Prior to the election, Karpoche worked for Cheri DiNovo, her predecessor as MPP for Parkdale-High Park, first in DiNovo's constituency office and more recently as her executive assistant at Queens Park. She also served on the board of directors of the Canadian Tibetan Association of Ontario and on the steering committee of the International Tibet Network.
|Ontario general election, 2018: Parkdale—High Park|
|New Democratic||Bhutila Karpoche||32,407||59.41||+13.21|
|Progressive Conservative||Adam Pham||9,821||18.00||+6.26|
|New Democratic hold||Swing||+3.42|
|Source: Elections Ontario|
- Kennedy, Brendan (June 7, 2018). "NDP's Bhutila Karpoche wins Parkdale-High Park, becoming first Tibetan ever elected to public office in North America". Toronto Star. Retrieved June 8, 2018.
- "NDP politician Cheri DiNovo may be leaving politics, but her work on LGBT issues isn’t over". Daily Xtra, September 20, 2017.
- "First Tibetan, Bhutila Karpoche Wins Election in Canada". Tibetan Journal, June 8, 2018.
- "Bhutila Karpoche (Parkdale—High Park)". Ontario Legislative Assembly. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Statement from NDP Mental Health and Addictions critic Bhutila Karpoche". Ontario NDP. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Summary of Valid Votes Cast for each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. p. 9. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
|This article about an Ontario MPP is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|