Bharat Ramamurti is an American attorney and political advisor who is serving as a member of the COVID-19 Congressional Oversight Commission, a congressional oversight body tasked with overseeing the Department of the Treasury's and the Federal Reserve Board's management of stimulus and loan programs mandated by the CARES Act. In 2020, he was chosen to serve as Deputy Director of the National Economic Council.
|Deputy Director of the National Economic Council for Consumer Protection|
|Assumed office |
January 20, 2021
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Member of the COVID-19 Congressional Oversight Commission|
April 17, 2020 – January 20, 2021
|Nominated by||Chuck Schumer|
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Education||Harvard University (AB)|
Yale University (JD)
Ramamurti graduated from Lexington High School in Lexington, MA in 1999. He then earned a bachelor's degree from Harvard College and his Juris Doctor from Yale Law School. His father Ravi Ramamurti did his doctorate at Harvard, and so did Bharat's twin siblings Gita and Arjun Ramamurti, according to Harvard Magazine.
A longtime United States Senate staffer, Ramamurti worked as Senior Counsel for Banking and Economic Policy in the Senate office of Elizabeth Warren from 2013 to 2019. He then served as Economic Policy Director on the Elizabeth Warren 2020 presidential campaign. In 2017, Ramamurti was mentioned as a possible appointee to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
On April 17 2020, it was announced that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer had appointed Ramamurti to serve on the newly-created COVID-19 Congressional Oversight Commission. The Commission will have five members, one each appointed by the House Speaker, House Minority Leader, Senate Majority Leader, and Senate Minority Leader.
After Ramamurti was nominated to serve on the Committee, he authored an op-ed in The New York Times about the panel's role in the oversight of the President's handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
Ramamurti's parents came to the United States from Tamil Nadu. Ramamurti is married to Paige Ammons, an attorney at Buckley LLP. Ramamurti and Ammons have two children and live in Washington, DC.
- "Sen. Schumer Announces Appointment Of Bharat Ramamurti To Serve On New Congressional Oversight Commission, One Of The Key Transparency And Accountability Mechanisms Dems Built Into Bipartisan CARES Act | Senate Democratic Leadership". www.democrats.senate.gov. Retrieved April 18, 2020.
- "Biden adds former Obama budget official, onetime Warren aide to economic team".
- Raj, Yashwant (December 22, 2020). "Joe Biden selects Indian-American Bharat Ramamurti as key member of his economic team". Hindustan Times. Retrieved January 25, 2021.
- Nugent, Catherine. "Seventh Interview of James Robertson". Historical Society of the D.C. Circuit. Retrieved April 18, 2020.
- Voght, Kara. "The Elizabeth Warren of this recession is...an Elizabeth Warren staffer". Mother Jones. Retrieved April 18, 2020.
- "Report: Warren Aide In Running for SEC Vacancy". Roll Call. April 13, 2017. Retrieved April 18, 2020.
- "Senator Warren aide Ramamurti said to be in running for US SEC job -sources". Reuters. April 12, 2017. Retrieved April 18, 2020.
- "COVID-19 Congressional Oversight Commission (COC)". www.everycrsreport.com. Retrieved April 18, 2020.
- Gode, Jackson (April 15, 2020). "Congressional oversight of the CARES Act could prove troublesome". Brookings. Retrieved April 18, 2020.
- Ramamurti, Bharat (April 16, 2020). "Opinion | I'm Overseeing the Coronavirus Relief Bill. The Strings Aren't Attached". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved April 18, 2020.
- Hall, Phil (May 8, 2017). "Warren Offers Surprising Choice for SEC Vacancy". National Mortgage Professional Magazine. Retrieved April 18, 2020.