Born in Delhi, Ram was the son of Lala Shri Ram, who founded Delhi Cloth & General Mills. Ram completed his preliminary education at Modern School New Delhi. He graduated from St. Stephen's College, Delhi with a degree in Mathematics. After his graduation in 1935, he joined Delhi Cloth & General Mills as an apprentice and rose to the position of chairman and managing director in 1958.
Ram founded Shriram Fibres (SRF Ltd) in 1970 and later, Shri Ram Fertilizers. He served on various government committees and wrote two books: Glimpses of Industrial India and From Istanbul to Vienna. He also became the chairman of Indian Airlines. He received the Padma Bhushan award in 1972.
Ram was a passionate golfer and helped found the Indian Golf Union.
Ram died at a New Delhi hospital on 11 July 2007.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 October 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Remembering Bharat Ram". Business Standard. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Giving flavor of India's golf legacy to world: Bharat Ram". DNA News. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Bharat Ram: Relationship man". Rediff. 12 July 2007. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- [www.ficci.com/press/310/BHARAT.doc BHARAT RAM, AN ARDENT VOTARY O FREE ENTERPRISE: FICCI PRESIDENT]