Bessel van der Kolk
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bessel van der Kolk (born 1943) is a Dutch psychiatrist, author and educator based in Boston, USA. Since the 1970s his research has been in the area of post-traumatic stress. Van der Kolk is professor of Psychiatry at Boston University School of Medicine and President of the Trauma Research Foundation in Brookline, Massachusetts
Bessel van der Kolk
|Known for||Posttraumatic stress disorder research|
Van der Kolk was born in the Netherlands. He took his pre-medical with political science at the University of Hawaii in 1965. He gained his M.D. at the Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, in 1970.
Since the 1970s his research has been in the area of post-traumatic stress. He has studied how children and adults adapt to traumatic experiences, and translated findings from pharmacology, attachment theory, neuroscience, and developmental aspects of trauma's effects on people. He has developed and studied potentially effective treatments for traumatic stress in children and adults, such as trauma-sensitive yoga.
Van der Kolk has written journal articles on the basic mental and biological parameters of PTSD (including the first published biological model for PTSD; one of the first studies to elucidate the role of committing atrocities, “moral injury”, for developing PTSD; the first PET study of PTSD; and the first neuroimaging study of dissociative disorders); psychopharmacology; memory; pervasive role of trauma in psychiatric disorders; complex PTSD, disorders of extreme stress, and developmental trauma; and innovative treatments.
Positions and employmentEdit
- 1982–2000 Founder and Director, Trauma Center
- 1992–1997 Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
- 1997–1999 Professor, Harvard University Graduate School of Education
- 1996– Professor of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine
- 2000– Research and Medical Director, Trauma Center
- 2008– 2018 Vice President of Research, Justice Resource Institute
- 2012– 2017 Co-Director, CTTN, National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- 2018– Director, Trauma Research Foundation
In March 2018 Van der Kolk and the senior management of the Trauma Center formed a new independent 501(c)(3) organization, the Trauma Research Foundation. The Foundation is organized to promote clinical, scientific and educational projects. Its purpose is to support and conduct non-partisan research, education, and informational activities dedicated to innovative clinically informed projects to develop and implement optimal methods, treatments, and modalities to help children and adults heal from traumatic experiences.
- 1984, 1988, 1989 1st prize, Solomon Award, Harvard Dept of Psychiatry
- 1990–1991 President, International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- 1994 Eli Lilly Lecturer, Royal College of Psychiatrists, London
- 1996 Cohen Chair in Child Mental Health, NY Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services
- 1998 Lifetime Achievement Award, International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- 1999 Benjamin Rush Award, American Psychiatric Association
- 2001 Ben Wiesel Visiting professor, Institute for Living, Hartford. CT
- 2001 Visiting professor, University of Salamanca, Spain
- 2002 Distinguished Life Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
- 2006 Bowlby Memorial Lecture, University of London
- 2006 Richard Lederman Lecturer. Performing Medicine Association Aspen CO
- 2008 McNamee visiting professor Dartmouth University
- 2013 Reiss Davis distinguished professor, Los Angeles
- 2014 Visiting professor, Center for Consciousness Science, University of Virginia
- 2013 Visiting professor, University of Bahia, Brazil
- 2017 Royal College of Psychiatry, London.
- Van der Kolk, B. A., ed. Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: Psychological and Biological Sequelae. Washington DC: American Psychiatric, 1984.
- Van der Kolk, B. A., Psychological Trauma. Washington DC: American Psychiatric, 1987.
- Van der Kolk, B. A., McFarlane, Alexander C., Weisæth, L (editors): Traumatic Stress: the effects of overwhelming experience on mind, body and society. New York: Guilford, 1996
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma. Viking, 2014. ISBN 9780670785933. Hardcover. 464 pages. English. Translated into 24 different languages.
- Revanche, Jonno (14 September 2017). "Photography saved me. Staring down a lens, I re-ordered painful memories". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-03-14 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Curriculum Vitae of Bessel van der Kolk M.D." Bessel Van Der Kolk. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- Interlandi, Jeneen (22 May 2014). "A Revolutionary Approach to Treating PTSD". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-03-14 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Famed trauma therapist responds to allegations of bullying: 'It's an outrageous story'". www.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Reporter, Liz Kowalczyk-. "Allegations of employee mistreatment roil renowned Brookline trauma center". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 2019-03-14.