Bertrand Gille (handballer)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bertrand Fabien Gille (born 24 March 1978 in Valence, Drôme) is a handball player from France. Very strong physically (1.87m, 98 kg), and was honored with the title of World Player of the Year in 2002.
Bertrand Gille in 2014.
|2008 Beijing||Team competition|
|2001 France||Team competition|
|2011 Sweden||Team competition|
|2003 Portugal||Team competition|
|2005 Tunisia||Team competition|
|2006 Switzerland||Team competition|
|2010 Austria||Team competition|
|2008 Norway||Team competition|
His career as a handball player started very early: in 1984, he played for HBC Loriol and followed sport étude as a scholastic path. From 1996 to 2002, he played for Chambéry SH (under the guidance of Philippe Gardent, another famous French handball player) before joining the German club HSV Hamburg. He has been playing together with his brother, Guillaume Gille, since they were little. They have played together in HBC Loriol, Chambéry SH and now HSV Hamburg.
Member of the national team since 1997, "Gilou" was again pivot on the team which, among others, won the handball competition at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, where he was also named best pivot of the tournament. He decided to suspend his international career after a physical injury contracted during the Handball-Bundesliga of 2009. His successor on the team was Cédric Sorhaindo. Now, 2010, Bertrand Gille is back on the team. He was a part of the team, who won European Championships 2010. He was also part of the French team that won the gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics.
- French Handballchampions 2001
- World Player of the Year 2002
- Vicechampion in Germany 2004 und 2008
- Supercupwinner in Germany 2004, 2006 und 2009
- German Cupwinner 2006, 2010
- French Cupwinner 2002
- Winner of Cup Winners Cup 2007
- Bronzemedal from European Championships 2008
- Goldmedal from Summer Olympics 2008 and 2012
- European Champion 2010
Seasons for HSV HamburgEdit
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Bertrand Gille". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 2009-06-04.
- Portrait on the French handball federation site (in French)
|This article about a French Olympic medalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to French handball is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|