Benjamin (1968 film)
Benjamin (original title: Benjamin ou les Mémoires d'un puceau; U.S title: The Diary of an Innocent Boy) is a 1968 French comedy film directed by Michel Deville who co-wrote the screenplay with Nina Companéez.
|Directed by||Michel Deville|
|Produced by||Mag Bodard|
|Written by||Michel Deville|
|Starring||Michèle Morgan |
|Music by||Jean Wiener|
|Edited by||Nina Companeez|
|Distributed by||Les Films Paramount|
|Box office||2,542,714 admissions (France)|
"Benjamin was a role that I really liked," said Deneuve later. "It was a comedy, but in the spirit and tone particular."
In the eighteenth century, seventeen-year-old virgin Benjamin comes with his old servant to stay at the estate of his aunt, Countess de Valandry, who is having an affair with Count Philippe. Benjamin is pursued by various woman, including the beautiful Anne, who really loves Philippe.
"It was a painful time in my life", she later recalled. "I was in a cloud. I turned a bit like a misty automaton. Fortunately, the grief did not mark the film."
The film was the eleventh most popular movie at the French box office in 1968.
The critic for The Guardian claimed that "the dialogue is stylish without being witty and it is continuously and tiresomely arch." The Los Angeles Times said the film was "as superlatively acted as it is photographed and scored". The Washington Post said the film "has little to be said for it except is evidently authentic chateux".
Pauline Kael wrote that Pierre Clementi "indicates adolescent innocence by being loose-limbed and girlish. It is essential for the boy to suggest the kind of man he will become once he has learned what everyone is so eager to teach him, but Clémenti looks as though he would become a lesbian."
- Box office information for Catherine Deneuve films at Box Office Story
- Interview with Catherine Deneuve, Catherine Deneuve Tribute site accessed 15 Sept 2014
- Martin, Betty (June 28, 1967). "Eva Renzie in 'Pink Jungle'". Los Angeles Times. p. e11.
- "French Box Office 1968". Box Office Story.
- Lennon, Peter (22 Jan 1968). "Death by adventure". The Guardian. London (UK). p. 6.
- Thomas, Kevin. (Apr 11, 1968). "'Benjamin' Playing at Plaza Theater". Los Angeles Times. p. 31.
- Richard L. Coe. (Apr 6, 1968). "'Kinetic Art' Diverting Bill". The Washington Post. p. C6.
- Pierre Clementi obituary, The Guardian January 2000, accessed 13 September 2014