speaking at the Third Coast Audio Festival - 21 October 2005
February 22, 1954|
New York City, U.S.
|Notable credit(s)||The New Leader, The New York Times, Newsweek, Rolling Stone|
Born in New York City to Louis Yagoda and the former Harriet Lewis, he grew up in New Rochelle, New York. He entered Yale University to study English in 1971 and graduated in 1976 with a bachelor of arts. He later earned an M.A. in American civilization at the University of Pennsylvania, in 1991.
He became a freelance journalist for publications such as The New Leader, The New York Times, Newsweek, and Rolling Stone. He has published a number of books including About Town: The New Yorker and the World it Made.
- Will Rogers: A Biography (Alfred A. Knopf, 1993, ISBN 0-394-58512-7)
- The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism (Scribner, 1997, ISBN 0-684-83041-8), co-edited with Kevin Kerrane
- About Town: The New Yorker and the World It Made (Scribner, 2000, ISBN 0-684-81605-9)
- The Sound on the Page: Style and Voice in Writing (HarperResource, 2004, ISBN 0-066-21417-3)
- When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better and/or Worse (Broadway Books, 2007, ISBN 0-767-92077-5)
- Memoir: A History (Riverhead Books, 2008, ISBN 1-594-48886-X)
- How to Not Write Bad: The Most Common Writing Problems and How to Avoid Them (Riverhead Books, 2013, ISBN 1-594-48848-7)
- The B-Side: The Death of Tin Pan Alley and the Rebirth of the Great American Song (Riverhead Books, 2015, ISBN 1-594-48849-5)