Ben Shapiro (director)
Ben Shapiro is an American documentary director, cinematographer, and independent public radio producer.
Film & TelevisionEdit
Shapiro is producer, director, and cinematographer of the documentary Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters, which follows the photographer over a decade as he creates his images. Brief Encounters premiered at the South by Southwest Film Festival and is screening theatrically at festivals and on television internationally. The New York Times rated the film as a "Critics' Pick," and Variety described it as "must see."
Shapiro’s work as a cinematographer and producer includes projects for PBS (American Masters, PBS Arts, EGG), National Geographic, The Sundance Channel, and independent filmmakers including Katy Chevigny, Barbara Kopple, the feature “Paul Goodman Changed my Life,” among others.
Shapiro’s radio stories have been featured on such programs as NPR’s All Things Considered and Morning Edition. He has been a member of Radio Diaries since the series began in 1996, as an editor, mix engineer, and producer. Shapiro has collaborated on projects with many producers including American Radioworks, The Kitchen Sisters, WNYC and the BBC.
Teaching & PublicationsEdit
Shapiro has been published in the Journal of Popular Film and Television and Transom.org. He has taught at the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism, the New School University Graduate Media Studies program, and the Center For Documentary Studies at Duke University.
- "Ben Shapiro". IMDb.
- "Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters". 31 October 2012 – via www.imdb.com.
- "Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters".
- Catsoulis, Jeannette (30 October 2012). "'Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters,' From Ben Shapiro" – via www.nytimes.com.
- Scheib, Ronnie (30 October 2012). "Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters".
- "About Radio Diaries - Radio Diaries".
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-10-13. Retrieved 2012-11-15.
- "NPR Wins Peabody Award for Syria Coverage". www.npr.org.
- List of Peabody Award winners (2000–09)
- "Columbia News ::: Winners of 2006 Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Broadcast News Award Announced". www.columbia.edu.
- "Universal Truths". Journal of Popular Film and Television. 18: 103–111. doi:10.1080/01956051.1990.10662023.
- "Ben Shapiro - Transom". 26 July 2007.