Beloit Daily News
The Beloit Daily News is a daily newspaper that has served Beloit, Wisconsin and the stateline area of Rock County, Wisconsin and Winnebago County, Illinois since 1848. The newspaper is owned by Duane Hagadone and the Hagadone Newspaper Group.
|Owner(s)||The Hagadone Corporation|
|Headquarters||149 State Street|
Beloit, Wisconsin 53511
The Daily News grew out of a series of weekly and daily newspapers founded in the 1840s and 1850s. The Beloit Journal was first published in June 1848 as a weekly. It merged with another paper, the Beloit Courier in the early 1860s (which itself was formed from the merger of the Beloit Herald and the Beloit Times). After being published as the Beloit Journal and Courier, it changed its name back to the Beloit Journal in 1864. In 1870, the Beloit Journal was bought by the publisher of the Beloit Free Press, which started publishing in 1866; the merged paper was soon called the Beloit Free Press.
In 1879, a weekly newspaper called The Outlook was published. After becoming a daily in 1886, it was called the Beloit Daily Citizen and then the Beloit Daily News. Beloit was then home for the next several decades to two competing newspapers: the Republican Beloit Free Press and the Democratic (later independent) Beloit Daily News. The Daily News eventually bought out the Free Press in 1915, and continued to publish to the present day.
The Beloit Daily News launched its website, the BDN Connection, in June 1995. It was the first daily newspaper web site in Wisconsin to have live local news updated daily.
- "Beloit in the Field!", Beloit Journal and Courier, April 18, 1861
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-08-28. Retrieved 2009-12-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2009-12-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- William Fiske Brown, "The Press of Beloit" in History of Rock County, 1908
- Ron Klein, "The Press of Beloit Archived July 8, 2008, at the Wayback Machine", Beloit Historical Society