Belmont High School (Victoria)
Belmont High School is an Australian public high school located in Belmont, Victoria, a suburb in the city of Geelong. It is one of the largest public schools in Geelong. The school was established in 1955 and as of 2019, it has an enrolment of over 1300 students from years 7 to 12.
|Belmont High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Strive for the Highest|
|Colour(s)||Green & white|
There is a new Science-Technology centre called 'BioLab' that was completed in 2010 that is accessible for schools throughout Geelong to utilise.
The school offers a programme which includes a core curriculum in years 7 - 8 (English, Mathematics, Science, Italian, Indonesian, Technology, Arts, Studies of Society and Environment, Health and Physical Education). At years 9 to 12 a wide range of pathways are available. These include the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), Vocational Education Training (VET), Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) and school-based apprenticeships.
Belmont High School is one of 37 Victorian Government secondary schools providing a Select Entry Accelerated Learning Programme to address the learning needs of their gifted and high potential students. This allows these students to begin VCE subjects in Year 9 and complete school a year earlier if they wish.
The school also offers specialised programmes catering for international students.
On the 8 August 2008 a fire swept through a portable classroom, taking firefighters 40 minutes to control the blaze and another 90 minutes to fully damp down the site. One portable classroom was destroyed. There was also a fire in a science room, causing damage that had to be fixed over the start of 2011 holidays. On 19 April 2018 a shooting threat sent the school into lockdown. Police attended the school and upon realising that the threat was a hoax students were briefed on the situation and the day continued as normal.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (October 2017)
- Chrissy Amphlett, lead singer of the Divinyls
- Esther Anderson, Gold Logie nominated actress who portrays Charlie Buckton on Home and Away
- Cheryl Barker, opera singer
- Billy Baxter, Coodabeens, Hollowmen
- Mark Blake, AFL footballer for the Geelong Football Club
- Madison Browne, Melbourne Vixens and Australian Diamonds netballer
- Peter Coleman-Wright, opera singer
- Ian Cover, Coodabeens
- Andrew Katos Member for South Barwon in the Victorian Legislative Assembly since 2010.
- Steven King, AFL footballer for the St Kilda Football Club and previous captain of and premiership player for the Geelong Football Club
- Jeff Lang, blues guitar virtuoso and ARIA award winning musician
- Adrian Leijer, Olympic Olyroo Representative and Melbourne Victory player
- Jacqui Newland, X Factor Australia season 3 Top 10 finalist
- Tim O'Neill, CFL player
- Ezekiel Ox, lead singer of Mammal
- Scott Thompson, AFL footballer for the North Melbourne Football Club
- Dave Thornton, Comedian and regular panellist of The Project
- Denis Walter, Australian media personality and singer
- Andrew Wills, AFL Footballer Geelong Football Club, Footscray Football Club, Fremantle Dockers
- Peter Whyte, AFL Footballer Geelong Football Club
- Shane Korth, AFL Footballer Geelong Football Club
- Angie Hilton, Actress, Singer
- Kristian Schmid, Actor - Todd Landers Neighbours
- Victorian Government Schools: Belmont High School Archived 1 November 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 July 2008. Retrieved 2 November 2008.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Belmont High celebrates school's upgraded look". Geelong Advertiser. www.geelongadvertiser.com.au. 12 October 2007. Archived from the original on 30 July 2008. Retrieved 10 August 2008.
- Belmont High school blaze
- The Age: Pleasure and pain of a rock'n'roll life - 12 November 2005
- Geelong Theatre Hall Of Fame
- Geelong Theatre Hall Of Fame