Belden Incorporated is an American manufacturer of networking, connectivity, and cable products. The company designs, manufactures, and markets signal transmission products for demanding applications. These products serve the industrial automation, enterprise, security, transportation, infrastructure, and residential markets. Belden is one of the largest U.S.-based manufacturers of high-speed electronic cables primarily used in industrial, enterprise, and broadcast markets.
S&P 400 Component
|Products||Coaxial, power, and signal cables, Connectors|
|Revenue||$2.606 billion 2022|
|$254.7 million (2022)|
|Total assets||$3.162 billion (2022)|
|Total equity||$1.144 billion (2022)|
Number of employees
Belden is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri. Its president and CEO is Ashish Chand.
Belden operates in three regions:
PPC Belden Edit
PPC, a division of Belden, holds a number of patents for connector technology and has pioneered advancements for various industries. PPC Belden's innovations include the Universal Compression Connector, the wireless compression connector for the wireless industry and a locking HDMI connector. It was purchased by Belden in 2012. PPC Belden has its headquarters in East Syracuse, New York.
Belden was founded in Chicago in 1902. It was acquired by Crouse-Hinds Company in 1980; Crouse-Hinds was acquired by Cooper Industries in 1981 and spun off Belden as an independent company in 1993. In 2004 the company merged with Cable Design Technologies forming Belden CDT Inc. (now Belden Inc.) and since then the company has been headquartered in St. Louis. In 2005 John Stroup became CEO.
In April 2023, Belden dontated $100,000 to the Richmond Fire Department in Indiana. The goal was to improve and replace equipment for the firefighters and their safety.
In early 1997, Belden purchased Alpha Wire. Alpha Wire provides an extensive selection of cable, wire, heat-shrink tubing, accessories, and wire management services to customers worldwide in the Industrial Automation, Medical, Semiconductor, Aerospace & Defense, Consumer Electronics, and Energy markets.
Belden expanded in the 21st century through a number of corporate acquisitions:
In the summer of 2007, Belden acquired Lumberg Automation, which manufactures connectors used in industrial automation, for an undisclosed price.
In December 2009, Belden purchased Telecast Fiber Systems, a manufacturer of fiber-optic systems for television broadcast production, for an undisclosed price.
In late 2010, Belden acquired GarrettCom, an industrial networking products manufacturer, for $52 million.
In April 2011, Belden expanded its presence in South America with the acquisition of Poliron, a Brazilian cable company for $30 million.
In June 2012, Belden acquired Miranda Technologies, a global provider of hardware and software solutions[buzzword] for the broadcast television, cable, satellite and IPTV industries, for $377 million.
In December 2014, Belden said it would buy Tripwire for $710 million. The deal, which closed in the first quarter of 2015 , allowed the companies to deliver cybersecurity solutions[buzzword] across industrial and broadcast markets.
In early 2021, Belden acquired OTN Systems, a Belgium based manufacturer of critical telecommunication equipment, for $71 million.
- "Belden Inc, BDC:NYQ summary - FT.com". markets.ft.com. Retrieved 2023-07-28.
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- Universal Compression Connector Product Specifications Archived June 28, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- PPC Wireless Industry Products Archived April 21, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- PPC Locking HDMI Cable Archived June 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Belden buys privately held PPC for $515.7 million. (2012, December 11) https://www.reuters.com/article/us-belden-acquisition-idUSBRE8BA0I320121211 
- "Relentless Consumer Appetite for Capacity, Speed, and Quality". PPC Belden. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Company Overview of Belden Inc". Bloomberg. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Richmond Fire Department receives $100,000 donation from Belden Inc". Palladium-Item. Retrieved 2023-07-28.
- Brands you can trust - Alpha Wire. (1997, February 21) https://www.belden.com/about/our-brands
- Belden to Acquire Hirschmann. (2007, March 13) http://www.automationworld.com/networking-amp-connectivity/belden-acquire-hirschmann Archived 2015-09-23 at the Wayback Machine
- Belden Acquires Lumberg Assets. (2007, May 15) http://www.radioworld.com/article/belden-acquires-lumberg-assets/17695 Archived 2015-04-15 at the Wayback Machine
- "Network World" article Archived December 29, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- Belden Acquires Telecast Fiber Systems. (2009, December 23). http://www.cablinginstall.com/articles/2009/12/belden-acquires-telecast.html
- Belden to buy GarrettCom for $52M. (2010, November 23) http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2010/11/23/belden-to-buy-garrettcom.html?page=all
- Belden to acquire Thomas & Betts unit for $78M. (2010, November 11) "Belden to acquire Thomas & Betts unit for $78M - BusinessWeek". Archived from the original on 2015-04-15. Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- "Information Week" article
- Belden acquires Poliron for $30M. (2011, April 4) http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2011/04/04/belden-acquires-poliron-for-30m.html
- Belden/Hirschmann Buys Byres Security/Tofino. (2011, September 1) http://www.digitalbond.com/blog/2011/09/01/beldenhirschmann-buys-byres-securitytofino/
- Belden to buy Canada's Miranda Tech for $377 million. (2012, June 5) https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mirandatechnologies-offer-idUSBRE8540JO20120605 
- Belden To Acquire Grass Valley. (2014, February 6) http://www.multichannel.com/news/finance/belden-acquire-grass-valley/271107
- "Belden completes $710 million Tripwire acquisition". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. 2015-01-05.
- "Belden to buy cybersecurity firm Tripwire for $710 million". Reuters. 2014-12-10.
- "Belden buys Tripwire for $710m: Will keep network burglars out of Internet of Things". The Register. 2014-12-10.
- "Listed Belden Inc. Acquires OTN Systems, provider of telecommunication solutions for industrial markets · OTN Systems".
- Business data for Belden Incorporated: