|• Mayor||Nancy Bueno|
|• Total||1,144 km2 (442 sq mi)|
|Elevation||200 m (700 ft)|
|• Density||18/km2 (46/sq mi)|
The municipality of Becerril borders to the east with the country of Venezuela where the Serranía del Perijá mountain ranges is shared, the municipality of Codazzi to the north, to the west with the municipality of El Paso and to the south with the municipality of La Jagua de Ibirico covering an area of 1,143 km². Its terrain is made up of plains almost entirely with the exception of the mountainous western border with Venezuela. The area is watered by the Maracas River and the Tocuy River among other streams.
Becerril has an average temperature of 30°C throughout the year, with two summer seasons (dry) and two winter seasons (rain).
The town of Becerril was founded on March 4, 1594 by the Spanish Captain Bartolomé de Aníbal Paleólogo Becerra during the Spanish colonization of the Americas. The act of foundation was written by the scribe Martin Camacho and processed in the Royal Audience of Santa Fe de Bogotá on March 4, 1594. The foundation manuscript was signed by Governor Francisco Manco de Contreras, Captain Bartolomé de Aníbal Paleólogo Becerra and Captain Cristobal de Almonacid. on January 4, 1593. The first mayor of the city was Gregorio Romallo and the first church was named Santa Eugenia.
In 1977 Becerril became a municipality part of the Department of Cesar.
- Estados Unidos
- La Guajirita.
- (in Spanish) Interpolitico.com: Mayors of Cesar - 2008-2011 Archived November 1, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Municipalities of Colombia". statoids. Retrieved 30 April 2020.
- "Censo Nacional de Población y Vivienda 2018" (in Spanish). DANE. Retrieved 30 April 2020.
- Gutierrez Hinojosa 2000, p. 114
- Gutierrez Hinojosa 2000, p. 115
- (in Spanish) Becerril official website