Baylor–Texas Tech football rivalry
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Baylor–Texas Tech football rivalry is an American college football rivalry between the Baylor Bears and Texas Tech Red Raiders. Each school is a member of the Big 12 Conference. The rivalry began in 1929. The game has been played every year since 1956 despite the fact that Texas Tech was a member of the Border Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. In 1960, Texas Tech joined the Southwest Conference, ensuring the rivalry would continue. In 1996, the Southwest Conference dissolved, and both teams were invited, along with the Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M Aggies, with former members of the Big Eight Conference to form the Big 12 Conference. From 1947–64, Baylor won 14 of the 15 games. From 1996–2010, Texas Tech won 15 straight games. Baylor then won 5 straight meetings.
|First meeting||November 2, 1929|
Baylor 34, Texas Tech 0
|Latest meeting||November 14, 2020|
Texas Tech 24, Baylor 23
|All-time series||Tied 39–39–1|
|Largest victory||Texas Tech, 62–11 (2002)|
|Longest win streak||Texas Tech, 15 (1996–2010)|
|Current win streak||Texas Tech, 1 (2020–present)|
|Locations of Baylor and Texas Tech|
Texas Farm Bureau Insurance ShootoutEdit
In 2009, the game was held at AT&T Stadium (then Cowboy Stadium), the first time in the series the match-up was held on a neutral site. The game was the highest attended in the series' history, with 71,964 in attendance.
After the 2010 game was held at the Cotton Bowl in Fair Park, Dallas during the State Fair of Texas, the series returned to AT&T Stadium for the 2011 to 2017 games. The two schools finalized a contract that extended the series there through 2018. Starting in 2019 however, the series will switch to campus sites, with Baylor hosting Texas Tech in 2019 in Waco and the Red Raiders hosting the Bears in 2020 in Lubbock.
|Baylor victories||Texas Tech victories||Tie games|
- "Winsipedia - Baylor Bears vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders football series history". Winsipedia.
- Soliz, Brandon (June 2017). "College Sports: Who are the five biggest rivals in Texas Tech sports?". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "Texas Tech Football History Database". www.nationalchamps.net.
- "Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. Baylor Bears – Box Score – November 28, 2009 – ESPN". Scores.espn.go.com. November 28, 2009. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Tech Tech, Baylor to extend football series at AT&T Stadium". Chat Sports. November 6, 2014. Retrieved November 11, 2014.