Battle of Leego (2015)
Al-Shabaab militants attacked an African Union Mission to Somalia base in the Leego district of Somalia and killed more than 70 African Union soldiers and seized control of their military base on 26 June 2015. A military outpost with around 100 Burundian soldiers was attacked by militants with a car bomb, machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.
The Mail & Guardian described the attack as the "latest attack during the insurgents’ annual Ramadan fighting season." It was reported that militants beheaded survivors of the attack at the base. Footage has been released of barefoot dead soldiers and a soldier being shot.
Somali and AMISOM troops reportedly retook the base and town on 28 June while Al-Shabab withdrew and offered no resistance to them but not before beheading the local Deputy District commissioner among the captives they took.
- "Al-Shabab Attack Kills Scores of AU Troops". VOA.
- "Al-Shabaab kills dozens of African Union troops at base in Somalia". the Guardian.
- "UPDATE: Al-Shabaab claim that they had killed 30 soldiers when they 'overrun' AU Somalia base manned by Burundi troops". Mail & Guardian Africa. Archived from the original on 2015-06-30. Retrieved 2015-06-26.
- "Al-Shabaab kills dozens of African Union troops at base in Somalia".
- "Somalia: Somali and AU Retake Lego From Al Shabaab". AllAfrica.com. 2015-06-28. Retrieved 2018-06-26.