Barry T. Albin
Barry T. Albin (born July 7, 1952) is an Associate Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court. A Democrat, Justice Albin is noted for his jurisprudence in New Jersey's criminal law, with his opinions frequently favoring the due-process rights of criminal defendants.
Barry T. Albin
|Associate Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court|
|Assumed office |
September 18, 2002
|Appointed by||Jim McGreevey|
|Born||June 30, 1960|
|Education||Princeton University (BA)|
Cornell Law School (JD)
Albin was born on July 7, 1952 in Brooklyn, New York and grew up in Sayreville, New Jersey, where he graduated from Sayreville War Memorial High School in 1970. He was a graduate from Rutgers College in 1973 and Cornell Law School in 1976. After graduation, he started a career as a Deputy Attorney General in the Appellate Section of the New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice. After this career, he became Assistant Prosecutor in Passaic and Middlesex counties, which he held from 1978 to 1982. He was named a partner at the firm of Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer P.A. in 1986.
Albin served as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Criminal Practice Committee from 1987 until 1992, and gained the honor of being selected by peers to have his name included in the "Best Lawyers in America" (2000–2001). He became the President of the New Jersey Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, a position he held from 1999-2000.
Albin was nominated by Governor James E. McGreevey on July 10, 2002 as a justice in the New Jersey Supreme Court. He was confirmed on September 12 of the same year and was sworn in on September 18, 2002.
On May 15, 2009, Governor Jon Corzine renominated Albin, whose initial seven-year term would have expired on September 18, 2009. Albin's re-appointment was cleared by the Senate on June 26, 2009.
Barry Albin and his wife, Inna Albin, have two sons, Gerald and Daniel.
- Lourdes Medical Center v. Bd. of Review
- Mazzacano v. Happy Hour Social & Athletic Club of Maple Shade, Inc.
- M.S. v. Millburn Police Dept.
- State v. Byrd; State v. Dean - Adopted forfeiture-by-wrongdoing doctrine
- State v. Grenci
- State v. Nyhammer
- DYFS v. E.P.
- Jamgochian v. N.J. State Parole Bd.
- Senna v. Florimont
- Sensient Colors, Inc. v. Allstate Ins. Co.
- State in the Interest of J.A.
- State v. Cottle
- State v. Garcia
- State v. Gelman
- State v. Johnson
- State v. O'Neill
- State v. Rodriguez
- Utley v. Board of Review, Department of Labor
- Acuna v. Turkish
- In re Referendum Petition to Repeal Ord. 04-75
- Johnson v. Scaccetti
- Lewis v. Harris
- Malinowski v. Jacobs - companion case to Simon
- R.A.C. v. P.J.S., Jr.
- Simon v. Cronecker
- Simon v. Rando - Companion case to Simon
- State v. Blakney
- State v. Elders
- State v. Fortin (Fortin II)
- State v. Loftin
- State v. Meyer
- State v. Williams
- Thompson v. City of Atlantic City
- DYFS v. S.S. in the Matter of the Guardianship of A.M.S.
- IMO Freshwater Wetlands Statewide General Permits
- In re Verified Petition of Michael G. Venezia
- Pasqua v. Council
- Prado v. State
- State v. Badessa
- State v. Crawley
- State v. Delgado
- State v. Denofa
- State v. Domicz
- State v. Morrison
- Williams v. State
- Brunswick Hills Racquet Club, Inc. v. Rt. 18 Shopping Ctr. Ascts., Ltd.
- DiProspero v. Penn
- French v. Hernandez
- Furst v. Einstein Moomjy
- Gonzalez v. Safe and Sound Sec. Corp.
- IMO E. Lorraine Harris
- IMO Grand Jury Appearance Request by Larry Loigman, Esq.
- Jerista v. Murray
- Loigman v. Twp. Cmte. of Middletown
- Serrano v. Serrano - Companion case to DiProspero
- State v. Abdullah - Companion case to Natale
- State v. Branch
- State v. Feaster
- State v. Franklin - Companion case to Natale
- State v. Jenkins
- State v. Natale
- State v. Muhammad
- Brodsky v. Grinnell Haulers, Inc.
- Caviglia v. Royal Tours of Am.
- Ferreira v. Rancocas Orthopedia Ascts.
- Glukowsky v. Equity One, Inc.
- IMO Individual Health Coverage Program
- IMO Philip L. Kantor
- IMO Stephen A. Gallo
- Knorr v. Smeal - Companion case to Ferreira
- Morton v. 4 Orchard Land Trust
- State v. Frankel
- State v. Garron
- State v. Guenther
- State v. Kashi
- State v. Spivey
- State v. Ways
- Scully v. Fitzgerald
- University of Massachusetts Memorial Med. Ctr., Inc. v. Christodoulou
- Vastano v. Algeier
- Becker, Arielle Levin. "GRADUATED IN BOROUGH Sayreville honors 5 in H.S. hall of fame", Home News Tribune, May 21, 2005. Accessed February 15, 2011. "After graduating from high school in 1970, inductee Barry T. Albin went on to earn a law degree, serving as an assistant prosecutor..."
- Hester, Tom (2009-05-15). "Corzine renominates Barry Albin to N.J. Supreme Court". NewJerseyNewsroom.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- Fuchs, Mary (2009-06-26). "Justice Barry Albin wins lifetime job on N.J. Supreme Court". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2009-06-27.