Barry Alan Rowland (born August 1961) is an English administrator and the current Chief Executive of the Falkland Islands. He previously served as Executive Director for Northumberland County Council and Chief Executive of Newcastle City Council.
|Chief Executive of the Falkland Islands|
|Assumed office |
3 October 2016
|Preceded by||Keith Padgett|
|Born||August 1961 (aged 56)|
Durham, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Durham University|
Early life and careerEdit
Rowland was raised in Durham and gained an MBA from Durham University. He spent most of his career at Newcastle City Council; starting in 1979 as a management trainee, he stayed at the Council for over 30 years eventually becoming Chief Executive in 2009. Rowland entered the news in 2011 after he was caught speeding by a camera put up by his own authority.
In 2012 he left Newcastle City Council by mutual agreement, receiving £215,331 in compensation, after a public falling out with Council Leader Nick Forbes. He went on to serve as Executive Director for Northumberland County Council until August 2015 when he stepped down to "pursue fresh challenges". In May 2016 it was announced that Rowland had been appointed Chief Executive of the Falkland Islands, taking office in October 2016.
- "Falkland's set to appoint Barry Rowland as new Chief Executive". MercoPress. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Bruce, Vicki. "Barry Alan Rowland" (PDF). Newcastle University. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 October 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Regan, Danielle (22 August 2012). "Newcastle City Council's chief executive, Barry Rowland, steps down". Local Government Executive. Archived from the original on 15 September 2016. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- "Newcastle council boss Barry Rowland caught speeding". BBC News. 21 October 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Warburton, Dan (23 August 2012). "Shock at Barry Rowland's departure from Newcastle City Council". The Journal. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Daniel, Brian (12 August 2015). "Barry Rowland leaves post at Northumberland County Council". Chronicle Live. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- "Falklands' new Chief Executive has 30 years experience in England's public sector". MercoPress. 13 October 2016. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "Falklands' CEO Barry Rowland named Acting Governor". MercoPress. 7 May 2017. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
| Chief Executive of the Falkland Islands
|This Falkland Islands-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|