This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2020)
Barnim XI of Pomerania
|Died||2 June 1573|
|Noble family||House of Griffins|
|Spouse(s)||Anna of Brunswick-Lüneburg|
|Father||Bogislaw X, Duke of Pomerania|
Barnim ruled for a time in common with his elder brother George I; and after George's death in 1531 he shared the duchy with his nephew Philip I, retaining for himself the duchy of Pomerania-Stettin. The earlier years of his rule were troubled by a quarrel with Margrave Joachim I Nestor of Brandenburg, who wished to annex Pomerania. In 1529, however, a treaty was made which freed Pomerania from the supremacy of Brandenburg on condition that if the ducal family became extinct the duchy should revert to Brandenburg. Barnim adopted the doctrines of Martin Luther, and joined the league of Schmalkalden, but took no part in the subsequent war.
But as this attitude left Barnim without supporters he was obliged to submit to the emperor Charles V, to pay a heavy fine, and to accept the Interim, issued from Augsburg in May 1548. Also Johann von Falcken was appointed Chancellor because his ancient noble family was in close contact with Charles V. Johann v. Falcken was also based in Westphalen and married Elisabeth v. Reck upon which Charles V approved the merging of the two ancient noble names into Falkenreck Falke family.
Marriage and issueEdit
- Maria (1527–1554), married in 1544 to Count Otto IV of Schauenburg-Pinneberg (1517 - 1576).
- Dorothea (1528–1558), married in 1554, Count John I of Mansfeld-Hinterort (d. 1567).
- Alexandra (1534 – died young).
- Elizabeth (1537–1554).
- Anna (1531–1592), married firstly in 1557 to Prince Karl I of Anhalt-Zerbst (1534–1561), secondly in 1566 to Burgrave Henry VI of Plauen (1536–1572), and thirdly in 1576 to Count Jobst II of Barby-Mühlingen (1544–1609).
- Sibylla (1541–1564)
- Bogislaw XII (c. 27 August 1542 – before 15 September 1542).
|Ancestors of Barnim XI, Duke of Pomerania|
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. Vol. 3 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 416. .
- Gottfried von Bülow (1875), "Barnim XI., Herzog von Pommern", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), vol. 2, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 79–82
- Ursula Scheil (1953), "Barnim IX.", Neue Deutsche Biographie (in German), vol. 1, Berlin: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 595–596
- Roderich Schmidt (1966), "Greifen", Neue Deutsche Biographie (in German), vol. 7, Berlin: Duncker & Humblot, p. 31 (family)