Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse is an American-Canadaian online web series of computer-animated shorts produced by Arc Productions and Mattel. The series debuted on January 10, 2012 and is available on Netflix, YouTube, and formerly, Barbie.com. Two TV specials aired on Nickelodeon on September 1, 2013. The series ended on November 27, 2015. A follow-up CGI-animated series titled Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures released between May 3, 2018 and April 12, 2020 on Netflix.
|Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse|
|Also known as||Life in the Dreamhouse|
|Created by||David Wiebe|
by Ruth Handler
Barbie's friends and family
|Written by||Barbara Haynes (8 episodes)|
Rachel Powell (2 episodes)
Robin J. Stein (25 episodes)
David Wiebe (8 episodes)
|Directed by||Andrew Tan (43 episodes)|
Patrice Bérubé (7 episodes)
Todd Resnick (43 episodes)
Kyran Kelly (12 episodes)
|Voices of||Kate Higgins|
|Theme music composer||Rebecca Kneubuhl|
|Opening theme||Life in the Dreamhouse|
|Ending theme||Life in the Dreamhouse (only shown in specials)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||7|
|No. of episodes||75 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producers||For Mattel: |
For Arc Productions:
|Producer||Margaret M. Dean|
|Running time||4 minutes (11–25 minutes for specials)|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||January 10, 2012 –|
November 27, 2015
|Followed by||Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures|
The series is set in a fictional version of Malibu, California, United States where all of its inhabitants are dolls. The dolls behave like humans, though a number of the show's gags rely on their doll-like nature. The series centers on the life of Barbie, her friends, her siblings, her boyfriend, Ken and a number of pets. The series is stylized as a mock reality show featuring confessionals of the characters in between scenes. The show heavily relies on slapstick humor, and makes a lot of satirical and self-parody references to the Barbie doll line.
- Barbara Millicent "Barbie" Roberts (voiced by Kate Higgins): Barbie is the lead character of the show. She lives in a large pink mansion called the "Dreamhouse" along with her younger sisters Skipper, Stacie, Chelsea and their pets. Barbie is a fashion icon and has had over 135 careers, and counting. Despite being a celebrity in Malibu, she is friendly, humble and good-natured.
- Kenneth "Ken" Carson (voiced by Sean Hankinson): Ken is Barbie's long-time boyfriend. Ken strives to be the perfect boyfriend for Barbie and is always there when Barbie needs him. He is an inventor who makes high-end machines and gadgets for Barbie to use, though they usually end up malfunctioning.
- Skipper Roberts (voiced by Paula Rhodes): The oldest of Barbie's sisters and enjoys technology and DJing.
- Stacie Roberts (voiced by Paula Bodin; née Rhodes): The middle of Barbie's sisters. Stacie is a tomboy who loves sports and organization.
- Chelsea Roberts (voiced by Laura Gerow): The youngest of Barbie's sisters. She is mostly interested in collecting and playing with stuffed animals (including her eye-catching favorite Unicorn Plushie of the Month).
- Teresa (voiced by Katie Crown): Teresa is one of Barbie's best friends who lives near the Dreamhouse. She is very chatty but is also very ditzy and sweet and often makes silly, half-witted remarks.
- Nikki (voiced by Nakia Burrise): Nikki is one of Barbie's best friends. She is also close friends with Teresa. She manages a fashion blog and loves taking pictures as a hobby. She is creative, smart, sassy, outspoken, and very protective of her friends.
- Raquelle (voiced by Haviland Stillwell): Raquelle is Barbie's frenemy and rival for Ken's affections. She lives a very posh lifestyle in an attempt to outshine Barbie. She is portrayed as vain and arrogant and is not above deceit to attain what she wants. She is also clumsy, and her plans to sabotage Barbie often backfire.
- Ryan (voiced by Charlie Bodin): Ryan is Raquelle's twin brother and struggling musician. He is in love with Barbie and often writes songs about her to impress her. He is a frenemy of Ken and will often brawl with him to win Barbie's affections. Like his sister, Ryan is also very vain and is often seen carrying around large cardboard standups of himself.
- Midge Hadley (voiced by Ashlyn Selich): Midge is Barbie's childhood best friend from Barbie's hometown, Willows, Wisconsin. She and Barbie lost touch when Barbie's family moved to Malibu. Prior to her makeover, she appears in black-and-white, dressed in vintage fashion, and speaks in early through late 1960s slang. She is also quirky, smart, and is fond of arts and crafts (particularly macramé). She moves to Malibu and develops a crush on Ryan.
- Summer (voiced by Tara Sands): Summer is another one of Barbie's best friends. She is a fun, energetic girl who loves sports and games. She is competitive, and her hyperactive nature is sometimes too much to handle.
- Grace (voiced by Lillian Sofia): Grace is Barbie's new best friend and a new resident in Malibu. She is very smart and interested in science.
- The Mall Cop: A strict and sometimes angry security guard who goes by the Malibu Mall codes of conduct.
- Closet (voiced by Todd Resnick): A robot who lives in and manages Barbie's closet. The robot speaks in monotone and has an evil side. Closet is voiced by Todd Resnick.
|Barbie: Dreamhouse Party|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation 3, Wii U, Xbox 360|
|Release||November 1, 2013|
|Episode Number||Title||Original Air Date||Short Summary|
|1||Closet Princess||January 20, 2012||Barbie goes through her endless closet for a specific accessory to wear on her 43rd anniversary with Ken. But she gets stuck in her huge closet, unable to find the way out. Meanwhile, Ken waits outside for Barbie to come out, with his appearance slowly deteriorating.|
|2||Happy Birthday Chelsea||January 27, 2012||The group celebrates Chelsea's 6th birthday.|
|3||Pet Peeve||February 3, 2012||Ken and Ryan pet-sit Barbie's animals while Barbie is out to a fashion show.|
|4||Rhapsody in Buttercream||February 10, 2012||Teresa thinks Barbie can't bake cupcakes, and Barbie wants to prove her wrong. So Barbie uses a gift that Ken got her: a cupcake-making machine. But the machine has one problem: it doesn't stop making cupcakes after it starts.|
|5||Ken-tastic, Hair-tastic||February 17, 2012||After Ken uses a voluminous hair product, Barbie, Raquelle, and Chelsea attempt to give him a new look.|
|6||Party Foul||February 24, 2012||Raquelle invites Barbie and Nikki over for a party and gives them a hard time with the dress code because she wants to upstage her.|
|7||Day at the Beach||March 3, 2012||The group heads out to the beach for some fun in the sun.|
|8||Sticker It Up||March 10, 2012||The girls decide to redecorate their Dreamhouse.|
|9||Oh How Campy||March 17, 2012||Barbie takes Ken, Ryan, and Raquelle camping. Raquelle has trouble adjusting to the new surroundings of nature.|
|10||Bad Hair Day||March 24, 2012||Barbie wakes up with disheveled hair and decides to go out with her hair like this to make Raquelle look good. However, the other girls think she's a trendsetter, and everybody starts to copy her.|
|11||Licensed to Drive||March 31, 2012||Ken attempts to teach Barbie how to drive.|
|12||I Want My BTV||April 14, 2012||Ryan directs a music video and makes it big in Hollywood.|
|13||Gifts, Goofs, Galore||April 21, 2012||It's Barbie's birthday and her friends go looking for the perfect birthday present. But the problem is that she's Barbie. She already has everything. What will her friend do?|
|14||The Barbie Boutique||April 28, 2012||Barbie opens a boutique.|
|15||The Reunion Show||November 3, 2012||The group gets back together to review highlights from season one.|
|16||Closet Princess 2.0||November 10, 2012||After Ken upgrades the Dreamhouse closet, the new robotic valet won't let Barbie and her friends leave unless she chooses a different outfit.|
|17||Sisters Ahoy||November 17, 2012||The girls go on a scavenger hunt at the beach.|
|18||The Shrinkerator||November 24, 2012||Ken invents a shrinking ray to shrink all of Barbie's awards and trophies because it's taking up too much space. However, it accidentally shrinks Barbie and Raquelle.|
|19||Plethora of Puppies||December 1, 2012||Barbie's dog, Taffy, has puppies and they become too much to handle. Meanwhile, Ken faints every time he sees them because he suffers from a cute disorder.|
|20||Closet Clothes Out||December 8, 2012||The Dreamhouse closet is full, so Barbie auctions off her unwanted clothing.|
|21||Accidentally on Porpoise||December 15, 2012||Chelsea gets a dolphin tank installed in the middle of the Dreamhouse, but the dolphin escape and the group has to get them back.|
|22||Gone Glitter Gone – Part 1||December 22, 2012||There is a glitter shortage in Malibu and everyone begins to go crazy. But, Stacie has one more can of glitter and everyone tries to steal it from her. Meanwhile, Ken tries to find a glitter hole.|
|23||Gone Glitter Gone – Part 2||December 29, 2012||The girls scheme for whatever glitter they can find in the midst of the glitter shortage.|
|24||Playing Heart to Get||February 2, 2013||Ken gets Barbie Valentine's Day gifts from the heart, while Ryan tries to compete for her with extravagant gifts that he thinks every girl wants.|
|25||Catty on the Catwalk||February 9, 2013||Raquelle asks Barbie for modeling advice in order to undermine her at the fashion show tonight and to steal Ken.|
|26||Help Wanted||February 16, 2013||Barbie gives Skipper a job at her boutique but Raquelle tries to ruin her first day on the job.|
|27||Spooky Sleepover||February 23, 2013||Barbie throws a sleepover and Ryan tries to scare the girls. His plan is that when he scares the girls, he'll jump in and "save" them and Barbie will fall in love with him.|
|28||A Smidge of Midge||March 9, 2013||Barbie's first best friend, Midge, comes to town and Barbie gives her a well overdue makeover.|
|29||Occupational Hazards||March 16, 2013||Ken looks for a job, but is constantly disrupted by Barbie's calls for assistance.|
|30||Ooh How Campy, Too||March 23, 2013||The girls head back out to the woods as Stacie is looking to earn her wilderness badge.|
|31||Let's Make a Doll||March 30, 2013||Skipper hosts a trivia competition in which Teresa, Nikki, Raquelle, and Midge compete to see who is Barbie's true best friend.|
|32||Endless Summer||September 20, 2013||The sisters struggle to keep up with Barbie's overly energetic best friend, Summer, who just moved into town.|
|33||Sour Loser||September 27, 2013||Chelsea opens up a lemonade stand and Raquelle tries to bring her down.|
|34||Another Day at the Beach||October 4, 2013||Barbie brings Midge and Summer to the beach and tries to make them get along, though their polar opposite personalities might make that difficult.|
|35||Happy Bathday to You||October 11, 2013||It's bath day at the Dreamhouse, though the pets aren't so stoked about the idea. The sisters try to trick the pets into a bath many times.|
|36||Cringing in the Rain||November 1, 2013||It's raining in Malibu and the group's beach outing is cancelled. However, Barbie still manages to give the group a fun time despite the rainy weather.|
|37||The Ken Den||November 8, 2013||Ken puts up a guy-friendly hangout inside Barbie's boutique, but things get out of hand when too many guys crowd up the store.|
|38||Primp My Ride||November 15, 2013||Barbie decides to surprise Ken by upgrading his car as a gift for their anniversary.|
|39||Mall Mayhem||November 22, 2013||Summer and Raquelle run from security while they wait for Barbie.|
|40||The Upgradening||November 29, 2013||Ken upgrades Barbie's closet.|
|41||Doctor Barbie||October 2, 2013||When Chelsea gets sick, Barbie assumes the position of a doctor, while Skipper and Stacie fight over nurse duties.|
|42||Stuck with You||October 9, 2013||Problems arise during game night when Barbie and Ryan end up getting stuck in an elevator together.|
|43||The Only Way to Fly||Oct 16, 2013||Barbie gets banned at the Malibu airport, so she and her sisters decide to build their own jet.|
|44||Perf Pool Party||Oct 23, 2013||Barbie decides to invite everyone over for a pool party and Ken builds a giant slide.|
|45||Trapped in the Dreamhouse||Oct 30, 2013||Barbie and her friends find themselves getting trapped in the Dreamhouse, thanks to Raquelle.|
|46||Style Super Squad – Part 1||February 5, 2014||Barbie and her friends come up with a system to deal with fashion emergencies all over the world.|
|47||Style Super Squad – Part 2||February 19, 2014||Raquelle tries to become a star but fails. Meanwhile, Barbie gets back to her normal jobs due to disasters.|
|48||Little Bad Dress||March 19, 2014||Teresa borrows Raquelle's dress and starts acting like Raquelle.|
|49||Going to the Dogs||April 2, 2014||Barbie and her friends go head to head at the Malibu Surf and Sport Dog show.|
|50||Dream a Little Dreamhouse||Apr 16, 2014||Chelsea builds a little Dream house for their playhouse with her friends.|
|51||Mayor of Malibu||Apr 30, 2014||Chelsea and Raquelle are fighting to be the mayor of Malibu.|
|52||Bizzaro Barbie||May 28, 2014||After Barbie and her friends don't want to jump on board with Raquelle's new saying, Raquelle wanders into an alternate dimension where she's the star.|
|53||Doll vs. Dessert||June 11, 2014||Raquelle, Ryan, Teresa and Barbie enter a television baking competition to see who can make the best cupcakes.|
|54||Going Viral||July 9, 2014||With Skipper's help, Raquelle tries to create a viral video to rival cat meme videos in popularity.|
|55||Girls Day Out||July 23, 2014||When Barbie decides to spend time with Tawny, a jealous Blissa tries to sabotage their night out.|
|56||Business is Barking||September 4, 2014||When Chelsea sets up her own pet salon, Raquelle offers her services.|
|57||When the Cat's Away||September 17, 2014||With Barbie away, Chelsea chases Blissa into the endless closet.|
|58||Ice Ice, Barbie – Part 1||October 15, 2014||When Midge starts to miss the snow in Wisconsin, Ken brings the snow to her.|
|59||Ice Ice, Barbie – Part 2||October 29, 2014||There is an extreme weather phenomena in Malibu.|
|60||The Amaze Chase||Nov 12, 2014||The friends compete in the extreme challenges of The Amaze Chase (parody of ‘’The Amazing Race’’). This is a 30-minute special.|
|61||New Girl In Town||Dec 10, 2014||Barbie meets a fab new girl at the Malibu Mall.|
|62||Malibu's Empirical Emporium||April 17, 2015||Grace decides to start her own business a store solely dedicated to science.|
|63||Red Carpet Caper||April 24, 2015||Barbie asks Raquelle to help her plan a fabulous red carpet event.|
|64||Mission Impawsible||May 1, 2015||The pets go on an adventure but try not to be caught by Barbie.|
|65||The Telethon||May 8, 2015||Barbie hosts a star-studded telethon for Chelsea's favorite cause – pet illiteracy.|
|66||Don't Bet on It||May 20, 2015||Barbie and her sisters challenge each other to give up their favorite thing for an entire day.|
|67||Dissin' Cousins||May 29, 2015||Ken's cousin named Ben comes to visit.|
|68||Alone in the Dreamhouse||June 20, 2015||Barbie and her sisters go to the beach and leave Chelsea behind.|
|69||Mooning Over You||June 26, 2015||Barbie and Ken head to outer space but Ken messes things up.|
|70||Sidewalk Showdown||July 30, 2015||Barbie, Stacie and Chelsea camp out to buy tickets to a concert, much to the embarrassment of Skipper.|
|71||Sister's Fun Day||August 1, 2015||Barbie hangs out with Skipper, Stacie, and Chelsea but has to leave them to help Fifth Harmony make a music video.|
|72||Send in the Clones – Part 1||August 27, 2015||Ken makes a Barbie clone to help with her jobs so he can spend more time, but the robot turns evil and Ken's tennis playing robot cause a lot of clones to appear and cause disasters.|
|73||Send in the Clones – Part 2||September 11, 2015||Ken decides to tell the truth to Barbie, and Barbie and her sisters gets all the clones back to stop them. Meanwhile, the evil Barbie is saying she is the real Barbie and would receive the key to Malibu.|
|74||Send in the Clones – Part 3||September 18, 2015||Barbie competes with the clone to prove the clone is fake but the clone beats her. However, Barbie tricks the clone into removing its comb that contains A.I. in it.|
|75||The Fantasticest Journey||September 25, 2015||Taffy swallows a gift by Ken and he and Barbie must retrieve it.|
- Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse – Episodes, Cast & Character Profiles, Map & Locations, B Friends. Dreamhouse.barbie.com (2013-02-18). Retrieved on 2013-03-19.
- "Watch Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse | Netflix". Netflix. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- Official Barbie YouTube Page. YouTube. Retrieved on 2013-03-19.
- Barbie – and her Dreamhouse – are coming to Nickelodeon. EW.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-30.
- Text line mentioned at the end of Best Moments Countdown | Life in the Dreamhouse | Barbie, retrieved November 27, 2015 – via YouTube.
- "Mattel Creations greenlights two new Barbie series, more kids content". Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- Meet Nikki – Nikki Character Profile | Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse. Dreamhouse.barbie.com (2013-02-18). Retrieved on 2013-03-19.
- Meet Ryan – Ryan Character Profile | Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse. Dreamhouse.barbie.com (2013-02-18). Retrieved on 2013-03-19.
- A Smidge of Midge – Watch Episodes, Clips & Videos | Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse. Dreamhouse.barbie.com. Retrieved on 2013-03-19.
- Meet Midge – Midge Character Profile | Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse. Dreamhouse.barbie.com (2013-02-18). Retrieved on 2013-07-09.
- Endless Summer – Watch Episodes, Clips & Videos | Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse. Dreamhouse.barbie.com (2013-02-18). Retrieved on 2013-07-09.
- Marketing agency (2013-05-28). "Barbie Dreamhouse Party – Little Orbit". Little Orbit. Archived from the original on 2013-07-22. Retrieved 2013-07-21.