Barbara Starfield (Brooklyn - New York City, December 18, 1932 / Menlo Park - California, June 10, 2011) was an American pediatrician. She was an advocate for primary health care worldwide. Her academic and professional life was almost fully dedicated to the Johns Hopkins University.
Starfield studied medicine between 1954 and 1959 at the State University of New York and graduated magna cum laude. She specialized in pediatrics between 1959 and 1962 at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. She obtained her Masters in Public Health in 1963 at the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health.
Her books have been translated into several languages. She was a member of many scientific societies, and an adviser for many official healthcare institutions around the world. She was a member of the editorial board and a reviewer for several internationally renowned medical journals.
She led projects to develop important methodological tools, including the Primary Care Assessment Tool, the CHIP tools (to assess adolescent and child health status), and the Johns Hopkins Adjusted Clinical Groups (ACGs) for assessment of diagnosed morbidity burdens reflecting degrees of co-morbidity. Starfield was the co-founder and first president of the International Society for Equity in Health, a scientific organization devoted to the dissemination of knowledge about the determinants of inequity in health and finding ways to eliminate them. Her work thus focuses on quality of care, health status assessment, primary care evaluation, and equity in health.
Honors and awardsEdit
- 2000: Honorary Fellow, Royal College of General Practitioners (UK).
- 2002: Lifetime Achievement Award, Ambulatory Pediatric Association.
- 2002: Morehouse School of Medicine Excellence in Primary Care Award.
- 2004: Baxter International Foundation Prize for Health Services Research.
- 2005: John G. Walsh Award for Lifetime Contributions to Family Medicine, American Academy of Family Physicians.
- 2005: Doctora honoris causa por la University of Montreal
- 2006: Avedis Donabedian Award for Leadership in Quality of Care, Avedis Donabedian Foundation.
- 2007: Fifth Annual Award for Excellence and Innovation and Value Purchasing. National Business Group on Health, Washington DC.
- 2007: Avedis Donabedian Award for Quality Improvement. American Public Health Association (Medical Care Section), Washington DC.
- Starfield B. Primare care. Concept, evaluation and policy. Nueva York: Oxford University Press; 1992.
- Starfield B. Primary Care: Balancing Health Needs, Services, and Technology. New York: Oxford University Press; 1998.
- Starfield B. Population health: new paradigms and implications for health information systems. In: Friedman DJ, Hunter EL, Parrish RG, eds. Health Statistics: Shaping Policy and Practice to Improve the Population’s Health. New York: Oxford University Press; 2005. p. 462-79.
- Starfield B, Gervas J. Family medicine should encourage its clinicians to specialize: negative position. In: Buetow SA, Kenealy TW. Ideological Debates in Family Medicine. New York: Nova Science Publishers; 2007. p.107-19.
- Starfield B. Social gradients and child health. In: Heggenhougen HK, Quah SR (eds). International Encyclopedia of Public Health. San Diego (CA): Academic Press; 2008. Vol 6, p. 87-101.
- Rajmil L, Starfield B. Inequalities in child health. Chapter IV. In: Moving Forward Equity in Health: Monitoring Social Determinants of Health and the Reduction of Health Inequalities. Madrid: Ministry of Health and Social Policy of Spain; 2010. p.32-6.
- Starfield B. General Practice as an Integral Part of the Health System. 16th Nordic Conference on General Practice. Copenhagen, Denmark; May 13-16, 2009.
- Barbara Starfield. Official curriculum vitae.[permanent dead link]
- Perancho I. El médico de familia debería cobrar más que el cardiólogo. El Mundo. 10/03/2007; (701 Supl Salud).
- Marcille J. An evidence base for Primary Care: a conversation with Barbara Starfield, MD, MPH. Managed Care. June 2008.
- Arvantes J. Barbara Starfield, M.D., Focuses on Primary Care and Health Care Reform. AAFP News Now. 9/2/2009. Archived March 13, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Roberts R. President, 2010-2013 World Organization of Family Doctors (Wonca). 12 June 2011. Archived March 25, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Barbara Starfiel biography. 16th Nordic Conference on General Practice. Copenhagen, Denmark; May 13-16, 2009.
- Furler J, Harris E, Baum F, Dixon J, Lawless A, Maceira D, Nolen LB, Starfield B. An International Society and Journal for Equity in Health: 10 years on. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2011; 10:11. doi:10.1186/1475-9276-10-11