|Slogan||আপনার ভাষায় কথা বলে - Apnar bhashay kotha bole|
English: Speaks your language
|Country||United Kingdom & Bangladesh|
|Headquarters||Hackney Wick, London|
|Astra 2F||12663 H 22000 5/6|
Launched in 1999, Bangla TV was the first Bengali language television channel in the UK. It operated as a subscription-only channel until 2005, following the arrival of Channel S, a rival channel providing a free-to-air service targeting its programming specifically for the Bengali Sylheti community in the UK. Following the launch of Channel S, Bangla TV also switched over to a non-subscription based model and to date have been providing the service free.
Bangla TV was removed from Sky channel 786 on 1 July 2010, before returning on 9 July, no explanation was provided. Bangla TV was again removed from the Sky EPG during December 2010 before being found in serious breach of Ofcom rules. The channel returned again on 17 June 2011, under new management. Bangla TV was again removed from the Sky EPG during December 2013 and January 2014 before returning on 10 February 2014. It was again removed on 7 August 2014 and continues to have intermittent TV transmission.
Since the arrival of Channel S, there has been rivalry between the two channels. Bangla TV had previously been the monopoly provider and as a result had broadcast many UK community based events such as the Baishakhi Mela, Bangladesh Film Awards and Pitha Uthshob.
List of programmesEdit
- "Bangla TV removed from Sky Digital". Biz Asia. 2010-07-05. Archived from the original on 2010-07-10. Retrieved 2010-07-09.
- "Bangla TV in serious breach of Ofcom rules". Biz Asia. 24 January 2011. Archived from the original on 30 November 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Bangla TV returns to Sky Digital EPG slot". Biz Asia. 17 June 2011. Archived from the original on 23 June 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Bangla TV set for return on Sky Digital?". Biz Asia. 18 April 2011. Archived from the original on 9 September 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "বাংলা টিভির কথা". banglatv.tv (in Bengali). Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "বাংলাদেশে সম্প্রচার শুরু 'বাংলা টিভি'র". NTV Online (in Bengali). 19 May 2017. Retrieved 24 October 2018.