|Born||November 7, 1546|
|Died||October 17, 1608 (aged 61)|
Hanyang, Joseon Korea
|Rank||Second junior rank (종2품)|
|Revised Romanization||Bae Heungrip|
Bae Heung-rip was born on November 7, 1546. He passed the military examination (무과; 武科) in 1572 and became a Herald (선전관; 宣傳官). Later, he has served as a prefect of Gyeolseong and Heungyang. Before the outbreak of the Imjin war, battleships were built by him following Yi Sun-sin's orders to prepare for the war.
When the Japanese Invasion of Korea broke out in 1592, he was appointed as the Assistant Defense Commandant (조방장; 助防將) and also served as a Defense Commander (방어사; 防禦使). Serving as the Front Commandant (전부장; 前部將) in the Admiral Yi’s first campaign and Won Gyun's Rear Commandant (후부장; 後部將) in the Battle of Sacheon, he was promoted to Tongjeong (통정; 通政; Thoroughly Administrative), third senior rank. In 1596, He was appointed to the magistrate of Jangheung, but he was dismissed for being criticized for wasting grains with a large number of shameless warriors. In 1597, he was deprived of his position as a Naval Commander of Left Gyeongsang Province (경상좌수사; 慶尙左水使). Later, he was appointed as the Bae Seol’s Assistant Defense Commandant.
In 1597, when the Japanese second invasion broke out, he participated in the Battle of Chilcheollyang under the command of Won Gyun, the Naval Generalissimo of the Three Provinces (삼도수군통제사; 三道水軍統制使). When Yi Eok-gi and Choe Ho were killed in action, Won Gyun and Bae Seol also fled in the Battle of Chilcheollyang, he rushed to the enemy camp with only one ship he was riding. He rescued the remaining ships and fought to the end to delay the enemy's advance. When Yi Sun-sin returned to his position after Won Gyun's defeat, he participated in the Battle of Myeongnyang and Noryang and was promoted to the second junior rank.
In 1600, he served as a Naval Commander of Right Gyeongsang Province. and as a Naval Commander of Left Jeolla Province. In 1604, he served as a Naval Commander of Chungcheong Province and the Second Minister of Public Works (공조참판; 工曹參判). In 1607, he became a magistrate of Yeongheung, but he resigned the following year due to illness and returned to Hanyang. He died of illness at his home in Hanyang on October 17, 1608.
- (in Korean) Bae Heung-rip at Doosan Encyclopedia
- (in Korean) Bae Heung-rip at Encyclopedia of Korean Culture
- (in Korean and Chinese) Veritable Records of Seonjo 25th August 16
- Park, Jong-pyeong (November 2, 2015). "[박종평의 이순신이야기 해설 난중일기- ⑱]영웅을 만드는 영웅들" [[Park Jong-pyeong's Nanjung ilgi-⑱] Heroes that make heroes]. Sunday Seoul (in Korean). Retrieved June 28, 2020.
- (in Korean and Chinese) Veritable Records of Seonjo 29th March 25
- (in Korean and Chinese) Veritable Records of Seonjo 30th February 7
- (in Korean) Battle of Chilcheollyang at Encyclopedia of Korean Culture
- (in Korean and Chinese) Veritable Records of Seonjo 33rd June 13
- (in Korean and Chinese) Veritable Records of Seonjo 34th May 3
- (in Korean and Chinese) Veritable Records of Seonjo 37th May 7
- Kim, Jun-hyeok (September 2, 2014). "배흥립의 덕행" [Bae Heung-rip's virtue]. MK (in Korean). Retrieved June 28, 2020.