The Badger Trust, formerly the National Federation of Badger Groups (NFBG), is a British animal welfare charity. It represents around sixty groups dedicated to the conservation and protection of the European badger.
|Predecessor||The National Federation of Badger Groups|
The trust campaigns against badger culling in the United Kingdom. The trust filed legal challenges in the High Court against planned badger culls, challenging a planned cull in Wales in 2010. The Trust won a temporary halt to the Welsh cull. In 2012, the Trust's lawyers sent a 16-page legal letter to Natural England, which licensed a badger cull, calling upon the agency to stop a planned cull in Gloucestershire and Somerset; in 2014, the Trust filed a challenge in High Court to this planned cull. This challenge was unsuccessful. In 2016, the Badger Trust spoke out against plans to expand badger culling to five new areas in South West England; the group's chief executive, Dominic Dyer, said that the four years of badger culling had "been a disastrous failure on scientific, cost and humaneness grounds" and called for a halt.
In 2014, the group issued a report about illegal snaring and hunting of badgers in Britain.
Local Badger Groups are the direct action side of the Badger Trust. There are 61 local voluntary Badger Groups in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Great Britain: Parliament: House of Commons: Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee; Parliament Great Britain House of Commons (15 March 2006). Bovine TB: Badger Culling, Sixth Report of Session 2005-06, Vol. 2: Oral and Written Evidence. The Stationery Office. p. 33. ISBN 978-0-215-02789-4. Retrieved 4 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Aslet, Clive (2012-09-17). "Spare the badger your tears..." The Telegraph. Retrieved 4 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Meredith, Charlotte (2013-02-27). "Controversial badger cull given the go-ahead despite outrage from animal welfare groups". Daily Express. Retrieved 4 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Driver, Alistair (2011-09-11). "Badger Trust loses legal battle to halt badger cull". The Farmers Guardian. Archived from the original on 9 November 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Steven Morris, Badger charity challenges Welsh cull, The Guardian (March 22, 2010).
- James Meikle, Judges halt Welsh badger cull, The Guardian (July 13, 2010).
- Badger Trust letter to Natural England attempting to halt badger cull, The Guardian (October 22, 2012).
- Damian Carrington, Badger cull under threat from last-minute legal challenge, The Guardian (October 21, 2012).
- Badger cull faces fresh legal challenge, Press Association (August 21, 2014).
- Adam Vaughan, Badger cull campaigners lose legal battle, The Guardian (October 29, 2014).
- Alice Ross, Badger cull protesters change tactics in response to expansion, The Guardian (August 23, 2016).
- Damian Carrington, Illegal snaring of badgers rising, report finds, The Guardian (October 2, 2014).
- Badger Trust Website, Badger Trust Website, The Badger Trust (June 04, 2018).