List of bad luck signs(Redirected from Bad luck)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- A black cat crossing one's path
- Walking under a ladder
- Certain numbers:
- The number 4 (tetraphobia) in Chinese culture
- The numbers 4 and 9 in Japanese culture
- Also in Japanese culture, maternity wards numbered 43, as it can literally mean "still birth"
- The number 17 in Italian culture
- The number 13, known as triskaidekaphobia
- The number 666, known as hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia
- Friday the 13th (In Spain, Italy and Greece: Tuesday the 13th)
- Failing to respond to a chain letter
- Tipping a salt shaker over
- Viewing one's doppelgänger may be considered a harbinger of bad luck
- Hanging a horseshoe with the ends pointing down, as it is believed that the luck will 'fall out'
- Breaking a mirror is said to bring seven years of bad luck
- Shoes on a table
- Opening an umbrella while indoors
- On the Isle of Man, the mention of the word "longtail" (referring to a rat)
- Three on a match (superstition)
- Giving a clock as a gift in Chinese culture, as in Chinese, to give a clock has the same pronunciation as attending their funeral
- Saying the word "Macbeth" while inside a theatre
- Ravens, crows and magpies
- Ouija board
- Greek Orthodox priest in the street. It is considered a bad omen to see a priest walking in the street, and superstitious people whisper "ΣΚΟΡΔΑ" (skorda - "garlic") under their breath.
- "Luck and Horseshoes Webpage accessed 22 Aug. 2010". Indepthinfo.com. Retrieved 2011-12-19.
- "Breaking a mirror - meaning of broken mirror". Mirror History. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "Cultural China - Festivals and Customs - Taboo 2 - Giving a clock". traditions.cultural-china.com/en/14T8158T12916.html. Missing or empty