Babek or Babak (Azerbaijani: Babək) is a rayon of Azerbaijan in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic. It was formerly known as Nakhchivan District (till 1978). The district named in honour of Babak Khorramdin, who led a 23-year-long uprising against the Abbasid Caliphate in Iranian Azerbaijan.
Map of Azerbaijan showing Babek Rayon
|Babek District||23 October 1978|
|• Executive power||Huseynaliyev E.|
|• Total||828,42 km2 (31,985 sq mi)|
|• Density||0.86/km2 (2.2/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (AZT)|
|Telephone code||(+994) 36|
Since June 9, 2009, by the decree of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic, the Bulqan, Garachug, Garaxanbeyli, Tumbul and Haciniyyət villages of the Babek Rayon are included in the scope of the administrative territorial unit of Nakhchivan city.
On the November 28, 2014, by the decree of the President of Azerbaijan Republic, the Nahajir and Goynuk villages of the Julfa Rayon were liquidated and added to the administrative territory of the Babek Rayon.
The Babek region was founded under the initiative of the National Leader of the Azerbaijani people Heydar Aliyev in 1978. Tezekend, located 6 km south-east from Nakhchivan, was determined as the center of the region and named the settlement Babek. Babek is a settlement of urban type. The region of Babek is bordered with the regions Kangarli in the west, Shahbuz in north-east and Julfa in the east, The Islamic Republic of Iran in the South and Armenia in the north-east.
Nature and GeographyEdit
The south mountain foot of the chain Daralayaz in the north, the hills and highlands the tail of mountain Zangazur in the south-east, Nakhchivan slanting plain in the south and Gulustan plain in the south east make the relief of the region. The highest peak is the mountain Buzgov (2475). The territory of the region Babek is rich in minerals, such as stone, salt and building materials. The mineral springs Sirab, Vaykhir, Jahri, Gahab and others are also found in this region. The main rivers of the region are Nakhchivanchay which divides the territory of the administrative region and its flow Jehrichay. They play important role in irrigation. One can also find in the region reservoir of Araz Water Junction, also reservoirs Uzunoba, Nehram, Sirab, Jahri and Gahab and irrigation canals.
According to the State Statistics Committee, as of 2018, the population of city recorded 75,000 persons, which increased by 2,500 persons (about 0.03 persent) from 72,500 persons in 2000. 37,400 of total population are men, 37,600 are women. More than 26,2 percent of the population (about 19,700 persons) consists of young people and teenagers aged 14-29.
- AZƏRBAYCAN RESPUBLİKASININ QANUNU
- LAW OF THE REPUBLIC OF AZERBAIJAN on changes in administrative territorial division of Babek and Julfa rayons of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- Naxçıvan Muxtar Respublikasının Babək rayonunun inzibati ərazi bölgüsündə qismən dəyişiklik edilməsi haqqında Azərbaycan Respublikasının Qanunu
- Naxçıvan MR. Babək Rayonu
- "Political division, population size and structure: Population by towns and regions of the Republic of Azerbaijan". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- "Political division, population size and structure: Population by sex, towns and regions, urban settlements of the Republic of Azerbaijan at the beginning of the 2018". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- "Political division, population size and structure: Population at age 14-29 by towns and regions of the Republic of Azerbaijan at the beginning of the 2018". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 2018-12-18.