Babak Ghorbani (Persian: بابک قربانی; 19 March 1989 – 16 November 2014) was an Iranian wrestler. In 2011 he was banned from competing for two years for doping, in 2012 he was charged in a murder, and in 2014 he committed suicide in prison.
|Full name||Babak Ghorbani Goldasteh|
|Born||March 19, 1989|
|Died||November 16, 2014 (aged 25)|
|Resting place||Bagh Ferdos Cemetery, Kermanshah, Iran|
|Coached by||Touraj Mehri|
He won gold medal at 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou.
In 2011, Ghorbani was banned from participation in FILA events for two years due to use of anabolic steroids. As a result, he was unable to compete in the 2012 Olympics.
In 2012, he was in a fight during a hunting trip in a mountainous area of Kermanshah, and was charged with murder for shooting a man to death. He committed suicide in Dizelabad prison in Kermanshah on November 16, 2014, by ingesting an aluminum phosphide caplet used for fumigation.
- ^ "International Wrestling Database". Iat.uni-leipzig.de. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- ^ "Iran Sports Press | Two Iranian wrestlers test positive for doping". iransportspress.com. Archived from the original on 20 February 2018. Retrieved 17 January 2022.
- ^ a b "Suicide and Despair Plague Iran's Prisons".
- ^ "بابک قربانی، کشتیگير محکوم به اعدام، در زندان خودکشی کرد" (in Persian). Radiofarda.com. 2014-11-16. Retrieved 2019-12-15.
- ^ Human, Kurdistan (10 June 2017). "Kurdistan Human Rights Association » Kurdish Young suicide from "Harsin" in prison". Kmmk.info. Retrieved 2019-12-15.