BWF Super Series Finals
The BWF Super Series Finals (named as BWF Super Series Masters Finals until 2009) was an annual badminton tournament held at the end of the year where the players with the most points from that calendar year's twelve events of the BWF Super Series competed for total prize money of at least US$ 1,000,000. It was replaced by BWF World Tour Finals in 2018.
The Super Series Finals were cancelled in 2007 due to the lack of sponsorship for this tournament. The 2008 tournament – known at the time as the BWF Super Series Masters Finals 2008 – was the first edition and it was held in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia on December 18 to December 21, 2008.
Only the top eight players or pairs in the Super Series rankings after the final Super Series tournament, as announced by the Badminton World Federation, were eligible to participate; however it was limited to two entries per member association. In the tournament, eight players or pairs would be divided into two groups of four, with the top two players or pairs advanced to the semi-finals.
For the 2010 edition finals, the competition was held in January 2011. In 2014, the total prize money doubled to US$1 million. Dubai, United Arab Emirates was the venue for the Super Series Finals until 2017 as the result of Badminton World Federation partnership.
Performances by nationEdit
- "BWF SUPER SERIES MASTERS FINALS 2008 - It's on!". BWF. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- Gilmour, Rod (2008-11-04). "Badminton Super Series Finals set for Malaysia after 2007 cancellation". London: Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- "Super Series Finals - The Eighth on the Eighth". Badzine. Archived from the original on 2015-10-06. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- "Rules and Regulations". BWF. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "2010 VICTOR - BWF Super Series Finals". BWF. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "BWF Destination Dubai World Super Series Finals - Countdown to Million-Dollar Jackpot". BWF. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- Osborne, Paul. "Countdown on for start of Badminton World Super Series Finals in Dubai". Inside the Games. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "YONEX-SUNRISE BWF WORLD SUPER SERIES MASTERS FINALS 2009". tournamentsoftware.com. Retrieved 2012-12-16.