BIAL IT Investment Region
On July 15, the region received final legislative approval from the state assembly and from the centre on September 20, 2013. The region is near Devanahalli. The Karnataka government has set up an empowered committee headed by Former Chief Minister D. V. Sadananda Gowda and IT/BT minister to guide the development of the region.
The ITIR was one of the largest proposed infrastructure projects in Karnataka's history. Development will involve a Centre-State partnership in conjunction with private partners. Basic infrastructure such as road, rail and telecommunication links will be provided by the Centre. The State governments will provide physical infrastructure and utilities, including power, water, sewerage and effluent treatment facilities. The Karnataka State Electronics Development Corporation (KEONICS) has recently issued Expression of Interest (EOI) for developing the region. Over 55 multinational IT companies including Infosys, Wipro, TCS, and Cognizant have signaled an interest in joining and have signed MOUs.
In 2015, the Times of India reported that the project had been put on hold, because of both the increase in the value of the agricultural land it would need to acquire, and " lack of interest shown by major IT companies " The article also said that " IT companies are also worried about the connectivity and travel time."
- Jayadevan P K (2009-12-17). "IT Investment Region to create 40 lakh jobs". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Karnataka moves to set up IT investment region near Bangalore". Sify. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Cabinet clears ITIR project". The Times Of India. TNN. 2010-01-29. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Karnataka / Bangalore News : State Cabinet approves IT park near Devanahalli airport". The Hindu. 2010-01-29. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "ITIR gets Centre's approval". The New Indian Express. 2010-06-02. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Front Page : IT Investment Region to be ready in six months". The Hindu. 2009-11-12. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "IT majors line up for investment region". The New Indian Express. 2010-05-20. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "ITIR project put on hold as farmers dig their heels in" Times of India Sep 25 2015  Accessed May 7, 2017.