B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth and Other Stories
& Other Stories
Trade Paperback Cover
|Publisher||Dark Horse Comics|
|Publication date||January 29, 2003|
|Created by||Mike Mignola|
|B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth & Other Stories||ISBN 978-1-56971-862-9|
This was the first B.P.R.D. mini-series. Three issues long, it was written by Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden and Tom Sniegoski with art by Ryan Sook and Curtis Arnold. It was published from January to June 2002.
Hellboy novelist Golden and his long-time writing partner Sniegoski wrote the story with regular input from Mignola. Sook was chosen to draw the book following a meeting with Mignola at a convention in Oakland, CA in 1995 and saw it as a chance to have a book all to himself although Arnold joined as inker when schedules started running tight halfway through production.
A newspaper-format promotional teaser for the series titled B.P.R.D.. It was published as three single-page installments in Dark Horse Extra from December 2001 to February 2002, featuring the first appearance of Johann Kraus.
The Killer in My SkullEdit
Originally published as a back-up feature in Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #1 (September 1999). Lobster Johnson made his first appearance in this written by Mike Mignola, with pencils by Matthew Dow Smith and inks by Ryan Sook (in his first contribution to the series).
Abe Sapien versus ScienceEdit
Originally published in 1999 as a back-up feature in Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #2 (September 1999). Abe Sapien made a solo appearance in this written and inked by Mike Mignola and with pencils by Matthew Dow Smith.
In the story Sapien rescues and reanimates Roger the homunculus when B.P.R.D. scientist Dr. Roddel threatens to dissect him just as Abe recalls he threatened to do with him when he was first discovered.
Drums of the DeadEdit
Abe Sapien made his first solo appearance in this story written by Brian McDonald with art by Derek Thompson.
Series editor Scott Allie had been in discussions with Brian McDonald about his next project after the success of Harry the Cop and Hellboy creator Mike Mignola had been considering using Derek Thompson on a Hellboy and so it naturally evolved that the two friends should end up working together on this project.
All the stories have been collected into one trade paperback:
B.P.R.D Omnibus EditionEdit
The trade was later collected as a part of the Plague of Frogs cycle in the B.P.R.D. Omnibus format, along with The Soul of Venice & Other Stories and Plague of Frogs. This format is available in both hardcover and paperback editions.
- Mignola, Mike (2006). B.P.R.D. Vol. 1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories. Dark Horse Comics.
- "Mike Mignola's B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth #1 (of 3)". Dark Horse Comics. Archived from the original on 22 February 2009. Retrieved February 18, 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Mike Mignola's B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth #2 (of 3)". Dark Horse Comics. Retrieved February 18, 2009.
- "Mike Mignola's B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth #3 (of 3)". Dark Horse Comics. Retrieved February 18, 2009.
- "Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #1 (of 2)". Dark Horse Comics. Retrieved February 18, 2009.
- "Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #2 (of 2)". Dark Horse Comics. Retrieved February 18, 2009.
- "Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead". Dark Horse Comics. Archived from the original on 15 February 2009. Retrieved February 18, 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "B.P.R.D. Plague of Frogs - Volume 1". DarkHorse.com.