|Founded||April 16, 1825|
|• Mayor||Romel Sarmiento Movimiento Ciudadano|
|• Town||60.94 km2 (23.53 sq mi)|
|• Metro||611.41 km2 (236.07 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2,518 m (8,261 ft)|
(2015 INEC estimate)
|• Density||660/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|• Metro density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
The population of Azogues is approximately 40,000.
Azogues is located at 2,518 meters above sea level (8,261 feet), its population is of 39,848 inhabitants, its average temperature is 17 °C (63 °F). It is also known for its Panama hat industry (jipi japa); the hats are produced primarily for export.
San Francisco Cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Azogues (established 1968), split from its present Metropolitan, the Archdiocese of Cuenca.
- Azogues is well connected on land to Cuenca by via rapida Biblian–Azogues–Cuenca; currently being widened to 6 lanes. It connects to Quito via I35 and to Guayaquil via I40, both newly improved branches of the Pan-American Highway.
- Azogues uses Mariscal Lamar Regional Airport located in Cuenca.
Azogues is the capital of the Cañar Province and the second largest city in the Cuenca Metropolitan Area with 700,000 inhabitants.
- The Best of Ecuador - Cañar
- GCatholic - cathedral, with Google satellite map
- Azogues, Cuenca Property Market Report
- www.azoguenos.com The cyber community of Azogues in the world.
- Azogues Ecuador: An Easy Day Trip From Cuenca