Aziz Akhannouch (Berber language: Ɛaziz Axennuc, ⵄⴰⵣⵉⵣ ⴰⵆⴻⵏⵏⵓⵛ; Arabic: عزيز أخنوش; born 1961 in Tafraout) is a Chleuh-Berber Moroccan businessman and current Minister of Agriculture in Abdelilah Benkirane's cabinet since 2007.
عزيز ابن أخنوش
Aziz Akhenouch in Marrakesh 2011
|Minister of Economy and Finance |
23 August 2013 – 20 August 2018
|Prime Minister||Abdelilah Benkirane|
|Preceded by||Nizar Baraka|
|Minister of Agriculture|
|Assumed office |
|Prime Minister||Abbas El Fassi|
|Resting place||Casablanca, Morocco|
|Political party||National Rally of Independents (RNI) 2016-|
|Spouse(s)||Salwa Idrissi Akhannouch|
|Alma mater||Université de Sherbrooke|
Early life and educationEdit
He is the CEO of Akwa Group, a Moroccan conglomerate particularly active in the oil and gas sector. Forbes estimates his net worth as $1.4 billion as of November 2013. Akhannouch inherited Akwa from his father. In 2016, Akhannouch was tied for 28th position on Forbes's annual list of the world's wealthiest Arabs.
From 2003 to 2007, Akhannouch was the president of the Souss-Massa-Drâa regional council. He was a member of the National Rally of Independents Party, before leaving it on 2 January 2012. On 23 August 2013 he was appointed by King Mohammed VI as interim Minister of Finance on an interim basis after Istiqlal ministers resigned from Benkirane's cabinet, a position he kept until 9 October 2013. On 29 October 2016, Akhannouch rejoined the RNI after being elected the president of the party. He took over Salaheddine Mezouar's position, who had resigned.
On 27 July 2016, Akhannouch met with Jonathan Pershing, Special Envoy for Climate Change for the United States. In their meeting, Akhannouch and Pershing spoke about preparations for the 2016 United Nations Conference of the Parties.
- "Parcours : Les success stories du souss". Archived from the original on 19 April 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Boum, Aomar; Park, Thomas K. (2016). Historical Dictionary of Morocco (3rd ed.). pp. 34–35. ISBN 9781442262966. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Aziz Akhannouch & family". Forbes. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "The World's Richest men in Tamazgha. 2016". forbesmiddleeast.com. Retrieved 5 November 2016.
- Saad-Alami, Youness (27 September 2011). "Agriculture solidaire: Le coup de pouce d'Akhannouch Entretien avec le ministre de l'Agriculture et de la Pêche maritime". L'Economiste. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Morocco: Gov't Advocates Comparative Advantages Benefiting Agricultural Countries in International Markets". allafrica.com. 9 September 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.(subscription required)
- "Aziz Akhannouch Elected President of RNI". moroccoworldnews.com. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "US Climate Change Special Envoy in Morocco for COP 22 Discussions". Retrieved 10 November 2016.