Axel Hütte is a German photographer.
|Education||Düsseldorf School of Photography|
Hütte was born in the German city of Essen in 1951. He studied photography in Düsseldorf Art Academy from 1973 to 1981, attending Bernd Becher’s class. He received a scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service to study in London and in 1985 a scholarship to study at the German Study Center in the Palazzo Barbarigo della Terrazza in Venice. From 1986 to 1988 he was the recipient of a Karl Schmidt-Rottluff scholarship.
In 1993, Hütte received the Hermann Claasen Prize for Creative Photography. Since then, he has been working as a freelance photographer. He shares a studio with Andreas Gursky and Thomas Ruff. He is considered one of five main representatives of the Düsseldorf School of Photography.
- As Dark As Light. Schirmer/Mosel Verlag. 2001. ISBN 978-388-814929-0.
- Terra Incognita. Reina Sofia. 2004. ISBN 978-848-026217-0.
- Axel Hütte speaks with Stephan Berg. La Fábrica Editorial and Fundación Telefónica. 2009. ISBN 978-849-249889-5.
- Towards the Wood. Schirmer/Mosel Verlag. 2011. ISBN 978-382-960515-1.
- 1997: Theorea. Fotomuseum Winterthur.
- 1997: Fecit. Kunstverein Hannover.
- 2004: Terra Incognita. Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia.
- 2011: Emerald Woods. Dirimart Gallery, Istanbul.
- 2014: Fantasmi E Realtà. Bevilacqua La Masa Foundation, Venice.
- 2015: Shadows of Lights. Galeria Helga de Alvear, Madrid.
- 2017: Imperial - Majestic - Magical. Kunsthalle Krems.
- 2014: 40|10 Bilderwechsel. Frieder Burda Museum. Baden - Baden, Germany.
- 2016: Strange and Familiar: Britain as Revealed by International Photographers. Curated by Martin Parr. Barbican Art Gallery, London, 2016; Manchester Art Gallery, Manchester.
- 2017: Photographs Become Pictures. The Becher Class. Städel Museum. Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
Hütte's work is held in the following permanent public collections:
- "Why Germany's best photographers all studied with Bernd and Hilla Becher". dw.com.
- "Axel Hütte - Theorea". fotomuseum.ch.
- "Axel Hütte - Fecit". museumkurhaus.de.
- "Axel Hütte. Terra incognita - Lanzarote". museoreinasofia.es.
- "Woodland reflections blur reality and illusion". hurriyetdailynews.com.
- "Axel Hütte - Shadows of Lights". Bevilacqua La Masa Foundation.
- "Axel Hütte - Shadows of Lights". undo.net.
- "Britain through the lens of outsiders". The Financial Times.
- "Review: Strange and Familiar: Britain as Revealed by International Photographers". The Mancunion.
- "A class apart: a new show explores the radical approach of the Bechers and their students". Wallpaper.