Austin station (MTR)
Austin (Chinese: 柯士甸; Cantonese Yale: Ōsihdīn) is an underground MTR rapid transit station on the West Rail Line in Hong Kong, situated perpendicular to Wui Cheung Road and Austin Road West, and formerly adjacent to Jordan Road Ferry Pier Bus Terminus.
|MTR rapid transit station|
Exterior of station building in 2011
|Location||Wui Cheung Road × Wui Man Road, Kwun Chung|
Yau Tsim Mong District, Hong Kong
|Owned by||KCR Corporation|
|Operated by||MTR Corporation|
|Platforms||2 (1 island platform)|
Austin station was built as part of the Kowloon Southern Link project, built to connect the West Rail Line and East Rail Line. KCR Corporation originally planned two stations along the new section of line: Austin and Canton Road stations. The latter station was cancelled due to failed negotiations with private landowners. As a result, Austin was the only new station built as part of the Kowloon Southern Link scheme.
During the planning and early construction stages, the station was called "West Kowloon Station" (Chinese: 九龍西站). The construction contract KDB200 (West Kowloon Station and Tunnels – Jordan Road to East Tsim Sha Tsui Station) was awarded to the Leighton-Balfour Beatty-Kumagai-John Holland Joint Venture (renamed to "Link 200 Joint Venture" on 9 August 2005) for an estimated contract sum of HK$2.018 billion. This station is part of this contract. Construction was finished in July 2009 and the station opened on 16 August 2009.
It was located adjacent to the Canton Road Government Offices until that structure was demolished in 2011. An MTR residential property development, The Austin, was subsequently constructed on the site of the former government offices.
A direct connection between Austin Station and the West Kowloon Terminus was opened on 23 September 2018.
A new underground pedestrian link between Austin Station and Xiqu Centre, a Chinese opera house, is under construction. It is expected to open in 2020.
|1||Northern concourse||Exit B4, B5, footbridge to Jordan Road, Hong Kong West Kowloon railway station, Elements, Kowloon Station|
|Southern concourse||Exit D4, footbridge to Hong Kong West Kowloon railway station, Staff-only area|
|G||Northern concourse||Exit B, Wui Cheung Road|
|Southern concourse||Exit D, Wui Man Road, transport interchange, taxi stand|
|S||Austin Road West subway||Exit F, subway to Austin Road, Austin Road West, Canton Road, The Victoria Towers, China Ferry Terminal|
|C||Concourse||Customer services, MTR Shops, toilets, Exit A, C|
|Jordan Road subway||Subway to Canton Road, Jordan Road, Ferry Street|
|P||Platform 1||West Rail line towards Tuen Mun (Nam Cheong) →|
|Island platform, doors will open on the right|
|Platform 2||← West Rail line towards Hung Hom (East Tsim Sha Tsui)|
By interchanging between Kowloon and Austin stations, Airport Express passengers using Octopus cards can connect to the MTR urban lines for free, immediately before or after the Airport Express journey. Airport Express passengers can travel around the two stations by walking through Exit B5 of this station or using the complimentary Airport Express shuttle bus service. However, it only provides out-of-system connection to Kowloon Station for Tung Chung Line passengers.
- Northern concourse
- A: Jordan Road
- B1/B2/B3: Wui Cheung Road
- B4: Hong Kong West Kowloon railway station
- B5: Elements, Kowloon Station
- C: Hong Kong West Kowloon railway station
- Southern concourse
- 12: Hoi Lai Estate ↔ Tsim Sha Tsui East (Mody Road)
- 36B: Lei Muk Shue ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 42A: Cheung Hang ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 46: Lai Yiu ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 60X: Tuen Mun Central ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 63X: Hung Shui Kiu (Hung Fuk Estate) ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 69X: Tin Shui ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 81: Wo Che ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 95: Tsui Lam ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 215X: Lam Tin (Kwong Tin Estate) ↔ Kowloon Station
- 260X: Po Tin ↔ Hung Hom Station
- 268B: Long Ping Station ↔ Hung Hom Ferry
- 268X: Hung Shui Kiu (Hung Fuk Estate) ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 269B: Tin Shui Wai Town Centre ↔ Hung Hom Ferry
- 271: Fu Hang ↔ West Kowloon Station
- 281A: Kwong Yuen ↔ Kowloon Station
- 296D: Sheung Tak ↔ Kowloon Station
- W2: Kwun Tong Station ↔ Jordan (West Kowloon Station)
- W3: Sheung Shui ↔ Jordan (West Kowloon Station)
- Cross-harbour buses
- 110: Shau Kei Wan ↺ Tsim Sha Tsui East (Mody Road)
- 914: Hoi Lai Estate ↔ Causeway Bay (Tin Hau)
- 970: So Uk ↔ Cyberport
- 970X: So Uk ↔ Aberdeen
- 971: Hoi Lai Estate ↔ Shek Pai Wan Estate
- 971R: Cyberport ↺ Mong Kok (Bute Street)
- 973: Tsim Sha Tsui East (Mody Road) ↔ Stanley Market
- W1: West Kowloon Station ↔ Admiralty (West)
- 26: Kowloon Station ↔ To Kwa Wan (Chi Kiang Street)
- 74: Kowloon Station ↺ Mong Kok
- 74S: Kowloon Station ↺ Ho Man Tin Hill
- 77M: Kowloon Station ↔ East Tsim Sha Tsui Station
- 78: Island Harbourview ↺ Tsim Sha Tsui (Peking Street)
- "GAKEI.com – Jordan Road Ferry Bus Terminus 佐敦道碼頭巴士總站". gakei.com.
- "Projects – Kowloon Southern Link". MTR Corporation Limited. 2008. Archived from the original on 8 July 2008. Retrieved 7 November 2008.
- "Press release 'Kowloon Southern Link to open in third quarter 2009', 10 July 2009" (PDF).
- "Progress Update on the West Kowloon Cultural District" (PDF). West Kowloon Cultural District. 18 December 2018.
- "Austin Station layout" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "EIA report index". Government of Hong Kong.
- "West Rail Line Extension Passenger Guide". MTR.
- "Austin Station street map" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Austin Station (MTR).|