Aung Thu (Burmese: အောင်သူ [àʊɴ θù]; born 8 July 1955) is a Burmese politician who was Minister for Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation of Myanmar (Burma) from 2018 to 2021.
|Minister for Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation|
30 March 2016 – 1 February 2021
|Preceded by||Myint Hlaing (Agriculture and Irrigation)|
Ohn Myint (Livestock and Fisheries)
|Amyotha Hluttaw MP|
1 February 2016 – 30 March 2016
|Constituency||Yangon Region № 6|
|Rector of Yangon University|
|Succeeded by||Phoe Kaung|
|Rector of Taungoo University|
|Born||July 8, 1955|
Yesagyo, Burma (Myanmar)
|Political party||National League for Democracy|
|Children||Thiri Thinza Aung|
|Alma mater||Yangon University|
Early life and educationEdit
Aung Thu was born on 8 July 1955 to Ba Thaung, a goldsmith, and Khin Lay, in Yesagyo, Burma (now Myanmar). He holds a doctorate degree in mathematics. Aung Thu is married to Khin Thida, and has one daughter, Thiri Thinza Aung.
On 22 March 2016, Aung Thu was nominated as Minister for Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation in President Htin Kyaw's Cabinet. On 24 March, the Assembly of the Union confirmed his nomination. On 1 February, during the 2021 Myanmar coup d'état, Aung Thu was placed under house arrest by the Myanmar Armed Forces.
- "ပြည်ထောင်စုဝန်ကြီးများ၏ကိုယ်ရေးအကျဉ်းမျာ". 7Day News Journal (in Burmese). Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- The Myanmar Times. "Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to join government as NLD reveals cabinet".
- Ei Ei Toe Lwin. "With all eyes on Daw Suu, NLD set to reveal cabinet".
- "Myanmar president to include Aung San Suu Kyi in his Cabinet".[permanent dead link]
- "Recent Arrest List" (PDF). Assistance Association for Political Prisoners. 4 February 2021.
- "ပြည်ထောင်စုဝန်ကြီးသစ်များ၏ ကိုယ်ရေးအကျဉ်းများ". 7Day News (in Burmese). 22 March 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Meet Burma's Next Cabinet". The Irrawaddy.