Asiatic Land Tenure and Indian Representation Act, 1946
The Asiatic Land Tenure and Indian Representation Act, 1946 (Act No. 28 of 1946; subsequently renamed the Asiatic Land Tenure Act, 1946, and also known as the "Ghetto Act") of South Africa sought to confine Asian ownership and occupation of land to certain clearly defined areas of towns. The Act also prohibited Asians from owning or occupying property without a permit when such property had not been owned or occupied by Asians before 1946.
|Asiatic Land Tenure and Indian Representation Act, 1946|
|Parliament of South Africa|
|Citation||Act No. 28 of 1946|
|Enacted by||Parliament of South Africa|
|Royal assent||3 June 1946|
|Commenced||6 June 1946|
|Repealed||12 October 1948 (representation)|
30 June 1991 (land tenure)
|Administered by||Minister of the Interior|
|Asiatic Laws Amendment Act, 1948 (representation)|
Abolition of Racially Based Land Measures Act, 1991 (land tenure)
The Act deprived the Asian South Africans of communal representation and took away their fundamental and elementary right of land ownership and occupation. It is called and regarded universally by Indian people as the "Ghetto Act".
The act struck at the heart of Indian commercial and economic life. Not only did it intend to reduce the levels of Indian trade and reduce progress in the acquisition of fixed property, it also is thought to have reduced the opportunities of the masses of the Indian people to earn a decent living and ultimately condemn them to existence in increasingly over-crowded slums and locations. Thus on 31 March 1948, it is thought that about 6,000 Indians marched in protest to the Act in Durban, South Africa.
The sections of the act granting representation in Parliament and the provincial council were repealed by the Asiatic Laws Amendment Act, 1948. The rest of the act was repealed by the Abolition of Racially Based Land Measures Act, 1991.
- "1946. Asiatic Land Tenure & [Indian] Representation Act No 28 - The O'Malley Archives". omalley.nelsonmandela.org. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "YEAR_". scnc.ukzn.ac.za. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- ""Ghetto Act" or The Asiatic Land Tenure and Indian Representation Act No 28 of 1946 is passed | South African History Online". www.sahistory.org.za. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "Muthal Naidoo - 1946-8 The Passive Resistance Campaign". www.muthalnaidoo.co.za. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "Historical Papers, Wits University". www.historicalpapers.wits.ac.za. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "Anti-Indian Legislation 1800s - 1959 | South African History Online". www.sahistory.org.za. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- African History: Apartheid Legislation in South Africa
- Brief description of the Asiatic Land Tenure and Representation Act 1946 No. 28
|This article related to Apartheid legislation in South Africa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This legislation article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|