Ashley Kahn is an American music historian, journalist, and producer.
In 2014, Kahn co-authored the autobiography of Carlos Santana, titled The Universal Tone: Bringing My Story To Light. To date, his most critically acclaimed books have been on two major jazz albums, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. He pens articles, interviews and other features on music, and is a prolific liner note writer for a variety of music labels, and for which he has earned three ASCAP/Deems Taylor awards, and three Grammy nominations. In 2015, he was awarded a Grammy for his album notes to the John Coltrane release Offering: Live at Temple University.
- Rolling Stone: The Seventies, with Rolling Stone, Holly George-Warren, Shawn Dahl, 1998 for the first edition, Little Brown & Co, USA, ISBN 0-316-75914-7
- The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide with John Swenson, 1999 for the first edition, Random House, ISBN 0-679-76873-4
- Kind of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece, foreword by Jimmy Cobb, 2001, Da Capo Press, USA, ISBN 0-306-81067-0
- A Love Supreme: The Story of John Coltrane's Signature Album, foreword by Elvin Jones, 2002 for the first edition, Viking Penguin, USA, ISBN 0-670-03136-4
- The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records. (2006) W. W. Norton, ISBN 0-393-05879-4
- The Color of Jazz: Album Cover Photographs by Pete Turner. (2006) Rizzoli International, ISBN 0-8478-5798-0
- The Blue Note Years: The Photographs of Francis Wolff & Jimmy Katz. (2009) Jazzprezzo, ISBN 3-9810250-8-3
- The Universal Tone: Bringing My Story To Light — Carlos Santana's autobiography (2014) Little, Brown, ISBN 0316244929
- Christopher Porter (December 2000). "Kind of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece". JazzTimes. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- Ascap Deems Taylor 2003 Archived September 29, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Ascap/Deems Taylor 2004 Archived August 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Ascap Deems Taylor 2010
- "Complete List Of 2004 Grammy Nominations: 86.: Album Notes". music-slam.com. December 4, 2003. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- "Complete List of 2011 Grammy Nominations - 89.: Album Notes". Music-Slam.com. December 2, 2010. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- "Grammys 2015". Los Angeles Times. February 8, 2015. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- "57th Annual GRAMMY Awards Winners & Nominees: Best Album Notes". The Recording Academy. 2004. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- New York Times, 2006
- The Guardian, 2006
- Entertainment Weekly, 2006
- The Independent, 2002
- Stereophile, 2002
- Village Voice, 2002
- Time, 2000
- Detroit MetroTimes, 2000
- JazzTimes, 2000
- Interview on the Kind of Blue book
- Official website of the A Love Supreme book
- Interview on A Love Supreme book
- Biography at National Public Radio
- Writing about music. A talk with Ashley Kahn