Arthur William Byron (April 3, 1872 – July 16, 1943) was an American actor, the son of actors Kate Crehan and Oliver Doud Byron. He played a mixture of British and American roles in films. He was a nephew of the stage actress Ada Rehan, his maternal aunt.
Byron in The Casino Murder Case, 1935
Arthur William Byron
April 3, 1872
|Died||July 16, 1943 (aged 71)|
|4th President of the Actors' Equity Association|
|Preceded by||Burgess Meredith (acting president)|
|Succeeded by||Bert Lytell|
Byron started his theatrical career at the age of 17 with his father's dramatic company. In 1939 he celebrated his 50 years in showbusiness.
He was the founder and one-time president of The Actors' Equity Association and he also served as an officer of The Lambs and the Actor's fund of America.
Byron appeared many times at the Lakewood Playhouse in Maine.
Arthur Byron died of a heart ailment, from which he suffered for some years, in Hollywood in 1943. He was cremated and his ashes were sent to the Byron summer home in Maine.
- Nervy Nat Kisses the Bride (1904, Edison)
- Fast Life (1932) - John D. Jameson
- The Mummy (1932) - Sir Joseph Whemple
- 20,000 Years in Sing Sing (1932) - Warden Paul Long
- Gabriel Over the White House (1933) - Jasper Brooks - Secretary of State
- The Silk Express (1933) - Conductor Clark
- Private Detective 62 (1933) - Tracey (uncredited)
- The Mayor of Hell (1933) - Judge Gilbert
- College Coach (1933) - Dr. Phillip Sargent
- Two Alone (1934) - Slag
- The House of Rothschild (1934) - Baring
- Stand Up and Cheer! (1934) - John Harly
- Fog Over Frisco (1934) - Everett Bradford
- The Notorious Sophie Lang (1934) - Police Insp. Stone
- The Man with Two Faces (1934) - Dr. Kendall
- That's Gratitude (1934) - Thomas Maxwell
- Marie Galante (1934) - Gen. Gerald Phillips
- The President Vanishes (1934) - President Craig Stanley
- The Secret Bride (1934) - Governor W.H. Vincent
- Shadow of Doubt (1935) - Morgan Bellwood
- The Whole Town's Talking (1935) - Spencer
- The Casino Murder Case (1935) - Richard Kinkaid
- Murder in the Fleet (1935) - Capt. John Winslow
- Oil for the Lamps of China (1935) - No. 1 Boss
- The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) - Mr. Erickson
- The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) - (scenes deleted) (final film role)