Art of the Improviser
Art of the Improviser is a double CD by American jazz pianist Matthew Shipp featuring two 2010 live performances, a trio date at The Arts Center of the Capital Region in Troy, New York and a solo piano recital at (Le) Poisson Rouge in New York City. It was released on Thirsty Ear's Blue Series.
|Art of the Improviser|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||Trio (Disc One)|
April 1, 2010
Solo (Disc Two)
June 12, 2010
|Venue||Trio (Disc One)|
The Arts Center of the Capital Region, Troy, New York
Solo (Disc Two)
(Le) Poisson Rouge, New York City
|Matthew Shipp chronology|
|Tiny Mix Tapes|||
In his review for AllMusic, Thom Jurek states "Art of the Improviser serves as a testament to Shipp’s achievements, yet it is also a continuation of the discovery in his developmental musical language."
The Down Beat review by Alain Drouot notes that "Few pianists can mix swing, angularity and dissonance with Shipp’s poise and aplomb. He negotiates with ease and nimbleness the many twists and turns he challenges himself with."
- All compositions by Matthew Shipp except as indicated
- "The New Fact" - 12:27
- "3 in 1" - 9:15
- "Circular Temple #1" - 16:01
- "Take the "A" Train" (Billy Strayhorn) - 7:44
- "Virgin Complex" - 6:49
- Jurek, Thom. Matthew Shipp – Art of the Improviser: Review at AllMusic. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- Drouot, Alain. Art of the Improviser review. Down Beat June 11: page 58. Print.
- Allen, Clifford. Matthew Shipp - Art of the Improviser
- Shanley, Mike. Art of the Improviser review at JazzTimes
- Corroto, Mark. Art of the Improviser review at All About Jazz