Archbishop O'Hara High School was a Catholic high school in Kansas City, Missouri. It was located in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph. The school was also associated with the De La Salle Christian Brothers, and was one of the ministries of the Midwest District of the Brothers.
|Archbishop O'Hara High School|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|• Grade 9||81|
|• Grade 10||81|
|• Grade 11||84|
|• Grade 12||113|
|Average class size||20|
|Student to teacher ratio||14:1|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
|Athletics conference||West Central|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Newspaper||The Celtic Sword|
O'Hara was a college preparatory high school offering AP courses and university credit through Rockhurst University and the University of Missouri–Kansas City. 100% of its students attended post secondary education with approximately 75% enrolling in four year colleges and universities. O'Hara had great success in sports since its beginnings with state championships in a variety of sports. Sports offered included football, basketball, swimming, soccer, tennis, golf, wrestling, track, cross country.
November 2013 saw a Catholic brother at Kansas City's O'Hara High School fired after police confirmed an investigation of suspicious photographs on a school computer that he used. Investigators said that a student had borrowed the brother's computer to print a document. When the student was finished, they closed the application and a suspicious file popped up. The student reported what they saw to the principal and the brother was placed on administrative leave.
The school was closed following the 2016–2017 school year. A new high school, St. Michael the Archangel High School, opened in Lee's Summit in 2017, and some of the faculty moved to the new school. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2021.
Notes and references edit
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- De La Salle Christian Brothers of the Midwest, http://www.cbmidwest.org/midwestministries.html Archived 2008-08-01 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved October 12, 2008.
- Archbishop O'Hara High School, http://www.oharahs.org/History.html. Retrieved October 12, 2008.
- Troutman, Caitlin (25 May 2017). "Alumni Are Nostalgic As Archbishop O'Hara High School Closes In South Kansas City". KCUR. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "New Catholic high school opens in Lee's Summit". FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports. 2017-08-16. Retrieved 2017-10-09.
- Mike Genet (2014-04-24). "New Catholic high school expected to open in fall of 2016". The Examiner. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "Weekly listing". National Park Service.