An avid skydiver, Deal had made more than 5,000 jumps by 2002. In 1975, his chute malfunctioned and he hit the ground at 120 mph. The injuries he suffered were a broken pelvis, broken neck and cracked ribs. In three months time he had returned to work at his WFLA-Ch. 8 job. He later worked at radio station WRBQ-FM 104.7 as a sky traffic reporter. He left there in 1992.
Deal died on March 13, 2020, also after choking on food. He is survived by daughters, Diane and Michelle Deal and his son Doug Deal.
- The Tampa Tribune November 19, 2010 Local musician Karen Deal dead at 57 - Curtis Ross
- St. Petersburg Times August 11, 2002 Ex-anchor survives skydiving accident By John Balz
- Big Cat Rescue Arch Deal
- Tampa Bay Times Saturday, November 20, 2010 Local musician Karen Deal, wife of Jefferson Airplane singer, dies By Kim Wilmath, Times Staff Writer
- "Arch Deal, longtime WFLA news anchor who survived parachute fall, dead at 88". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- Corporate Fall Guy: The Ups and Downs of a TV Anchor/skydiver Corporate Fall Guy: The Ups and Downs of a TV Anchor/skydiver
|This article about an American journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|