Penna San Giovanni, Italy
|Died||1807 (aged 76–77)|
He was born to a middle-class family in Penna San Giovanni, a town in the province of Macerata. The majority of his works, mostly of religious subjects, are preserved in cathedrals and churches throughout the diocese of Fermo and the commune offices in Penna San Giovanni.
Life and workEdit
Liozzi's work may be seen at the Cathedral Santa Maria, in Ortezzano and at the 14th century church of San Savino in Gualdo as well. In Penna San Giovanni, the Cathedral of Sant Pietro, the Commune building and the Flora Theater contain oil canvases of his work.
The Flora Theater in the central Penna San Giovanni is a Baroque structure; the wood facade was decorated by Liozzi with floral motifs and was the site of an international conference on frescoes featuring his work. A series of wooden hexagon columns painted in a faux marble pattern, support the steel reinforced core while two rows of wooden balustrades decorate the frames and are topped with floral garlands. The center of the ceiling illuminates an intricate pattern of cornices and moldings. Liozzi's signature fresco adorns the wooden ceiling, opening to a blue sky in which stands the goddess Flora. For years the theater was abandoned and almost lost to modernization. In 1985 it was designated as a historic national treasure and renovated to its original luster.
- "Marian frescoes and paintings from 1300 to 1800 in the parish church of Sant'Angelo in Pontano".
- "Penna S. Giovanni" (PDF).
- "A Brief Guide to Le Marche's Towns and Villages". Archived from the original on 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Ortezzano,Places to Visit". Archived from the original on 2011-05-20.
- "Portale turistico della Comunità Montana dei Monti Azzurri". Archived from the original on 2011-07-22.
- Crocetti, Giuseppe (1997), 'La pittura di Antonio Liozzi Penna San Giovanni, 1730-1807' Published by G. Crocetti in Fermo
- "Penna San Giovanni, The Old Town".
- "Antonio Liozzi and Flora Theatre". Guide.supereva.it.
- Various (1990), 'LA PITTURA IN ITALIA 700 2 VOL.' ELECTA (1990) p.767
- MASSIMI, A (1995), 'AMANDOLA E IL SUO TERRITORIO' Fondazione Carisap (1995) p. 120
- "Appartamenti Marche OASI LASSYE". Archived from the original on 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "La storia, Comune Penna San Giovanni". Archived from the original on 2011-07-22.
- "Penna San Giovanni: il Teatro Flora".