Anthuleni Katha (transl. Never Ending Story) is a 1976 Indian Telugu-language film directed by K. Balachander, starring Jaya Prada, with Phataphat Jayalaxmi, Rajinikanth and Sripriya in supporting roles. Kamal Haasan played a cameo. The film is a remake of the 1974 Tamil film Aval Oru Thodar Kathai, which was also directed by Balachander. This is Jaya Prada's first starring role, reprising the role played by Sujatha in the original and is considered to be one of her best films. This was also Rajinikanth's first major role. This film was shot in black-and-white.
|Directed by||K. Balachander|
|Written by||K. Balachander|
M. S. Perumallu
|Produced by||Rama Arannangal|
|Cinematography||B. S. Lokanath|
|Music by||M. S. Viswanathan|
Saritha (Jaya Prada) is a working woman in a poor family. She works hard to support her widowed sister, unmarried sister, her blind younger brother, her mother, her drunkard brother Murthy (Rajinikanth) and his family. Her father abandons the family and goes on a pilgrimage. Her brother not only does not take responsibilities, but also creates additional problems for her.
She has a longtime boyfriend, who wants to marry her, but she doesn't because of her commitment to her family. His eyes now wander to Saritha's widowed younger sister (Sripriya), who reciprocates his feelings. Saritha, after reading her boyfriend's love letter to her sister, arranges for them to get married, thus giving up her chance of having a life with him. She eventually accepts a marriage proposal of her boss (Kamal Haasan), when she realises that her brother has become responsible enough to take care of her family. She also helps her distressed friend, played by Phataphat Jayalaksmi to settle in life. She decides to resign from hard work, but could not as the result of the turning point in a typical Balachandar style climax.
- "Are Emiti Lokam", cast by Phaphat Jayalakshmi and voice by L. R. Eswari
- "Tali Kattu Subhavela", cast by Narayana Rao and voice by S. P. Balasubrahmanyam
- "Kallalo Unnadedo Kannulake Telusu", cast by Jaya Prada and voice by S. Janaki
- "Ugutundu Nee Inta Uyyala", cast by Jayaprada and voice by P. Susheela
- "Devude Icchadu Vidhi Okkati", cast by Rajinikanth and voice by Yesudas.
- Third Best Feature Film - Bronze won by Ram Aranganal (1976)
- Special Award – Jaya Prada
- "Articles: Movie Retrospect: Anthleni Katha". Telugu Cinema. 23 August 2006. Archived from the original on 9 July 2007. Retrieved 23 June 2021.
- "Anthuleni Katha was the Telugu debut for Kamal Haasan and Rajinikanth". The Times of India. 22 April 2020. Retrieved 9 June 2021.
- "Anthuleni Katha". indiancine.ma (in Telugu). Retrieved 19 June 2021.
- "I want to experience motherhood: Jayaprada". Screen. Archived from the original on 30 June 2009. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "నంది అవార్డు విజేతల పరంపర (1964–2008)" [A series of Nandi Award Winners (1964–2008)] (PDF) (in Telugu). Information & Public Relations of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 21 August 2020.