Anthony Steen (American football)
Anthony Steen (born May 9, 1990) is an American football center who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Alabama. Steen was a member of Alabama's 2009 national championship team during his redshirt year as a freshman and played as a starting offensive guard for both the 2011 and 2012 national championship teams. After going undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, Steen signed as an undrafted free agent with the Arizona Cardinals.
Steen with the Arizona Cardinals in 2015
|Born:||May 9, 1990|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||310 lb (141 kg)|
|High school:||Clarksdale (MS) Lee Academy|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 2, 2017|
High school careerEdit
Steen played high school football at the Lee Academy in Clarksdale, Mississippi and was a part of the 2009 recruiting class at Alabama. He verbally committed to the Crimson Tide on July 29, 2008, and officially signed on National Signing Day the following February. He selected Alabama over offers from Florida State, Miami, Mississippi State, and Southern Miss.
For the 2011 season, Steen became a starter on the offensive line at the guard position. He played in all 13 games, but only started in 9 after he suffered concussion against Ole Miss. For his redshirt junior season in 2012, Steen started all 14 games at the right guard position and was named the team's offensive player of the week for his performance against Western Carolina. At the conclusion of the season, Steen was the only member of the offensive line that did not record a penalty or allow a quarterback sack for the season. After the completion of the 2012 season, Steen announced he would return for his senior season. At the time of his announcement Steen cited both to improve his draft stock as well as a desire to compete for one final season at Alabama as his reasons for remaining with the Crimson Tide. For the 2014 NFL Draft, Steen is ranked as one of the top offensive guards in his class. For his final season at Alabama, Steen and Cyrus Kouandjio were the only returning starters on the offensive line and both were also named to various award watchlists for the 2013 season.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad|
|6 ft 3 in
|30 1⁄2 in
|9 1⁄8 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
After going undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, Steen signed with the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted free agent on May 12, 2014. The Cardinals released Steen on August 30, 2014, but he was re-signed to their practice squad the next day.
On September 5, 2015, he was released by the Cardinals. On September 10, 2015, Steen was brought back to the team and was placed on the practice squad. On September 22, 2015, he was released by the Cardinals.
On November 24, 2015, Steen was signed to the Dolphins' practice squad.
Steen made the Dolphins' final roster in 2016, starting seven games at center in place of injured Pro Bowl starter Mike Pouncey.
- Pillion, Dennis (July 29, 2008). "Steen commits to cap another busy recruiting day". AL.com. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "Alabama picks up two commitments on Tuesday". The Tuscaloosa News. Google News Archives. July 30, 2008. Retrieved July 20, 2010.
- Chase, Goodbread (July 29, 2008). "After a long absence, Barrett Jones back at practice". The Tuscaloosa News. Retrieved July 18, 2010.
- "Anthony Steen bio". RollTide.com. Archived from the original on May 20, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Edward, Aschoff (October 22, 2011). "Offensive line changes in Tuscaloosa". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Alex, Scarborough (April 2, 2013). "Quiet period is over". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "Anthony Steen to return to Alabama for senior football season". The Crimson White. January 10, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "2014 Top NFL Draft Prospects: Offensive Guard". cbssports.com. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Casagrande, Michael (October 14, 2013). "Alabama OL Anthony Steen honored after historic offensive performance at Kentucky". AL.com. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- "2013 All-SEC Football Team Announced". SEC Digital Network. December 10, 2013.
- NFL Combine Profile
- Urban, Darren (May 12, 2014). "Cardinals Get 15 Undrafted Rookies". AZCardinals.com. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Cardinals Cut To 53". Archived from the original on September 1, 2014. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- Urban, Darren (September 5, 2015). "Cardinals Make Final Roster Cuts". AZCardinals.com. Archived from the original on November 7, 2017. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- Urban, Darren (September 22, 2015). "Kerwynn Williams cut as Massie returns". AZCardinals.com. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- Warnemuende, Jeremy (November 25, 2015). "Dolphins sign G Anthony Steen, CB Dax Swanson to practice squad". 247Sports.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Poupart, Alain (September 4, 2017). "Top News: Steen To Start, Maualuga Update & More". MiamiDolphins.com.
- "Dolphins Make Roster Moves". MiamiDolphins.com. October 31, 2017. Archived from the original on April 9, 2018.