Angelos Chaniotis (Greek: Άγγελος Χανιώτης, born November 8, 1959) is a Greek historian and Classics scholar, known for original and wide-ranging research in the cultural, religious, legal and economic history of the Hellenistic period and the Roman East. His research interests also include the history of Crete and Greek epigraphy. Chaniotis is a Professor in the School of Historical Studies at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton.
|Known for||Contributions to ancient Mediterranean history|
|Awards||Anneliese Maier Research Award (2008)|
Order of the Phoenix (2014)
|Alma mater||Heidelberg University|
|Discipline||Historian, Classical philology|
|Institutions||Institute for Advanced Study|
Education and careerEdit
Chaniotis got his B.A. at the University of Athens in 1982. He got his Ph.D. at Heidelberg University in 1984 and received Habilitation at that same institution in 1992. He was a Visiting Professor at New York University in 1993–1998. He was a Visiting Professor and Senior Research Fellow at All Souls College, Oxford in 2006–2010. He taught at Heidelberg University from 1987-2006 and was the Chair of that school's Department of Ancient History from 1998–2006. In 2008 he joined the faculty as an Ancient History and Classics Professor in the School of Historical Studies at the Institute for Advanced Study.
In 2000 the German state of Baden-Württemberg awarded Chaniotis its State Research Prize. In 2001 the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation gave him the Anneliese Maier Research for Pure Research. In 2014 the government of Greece awarded him the Commander's Cross of the Order of the Phoenix.
- War in the Hellenistic World : a Social and Cultural History, Malden, MA : Oxford (Eng.) 2005, ISBN 0631226087
- Die Verträge zwischen kretischen Poleis in der hellenistischen Zeit, Stuttgart : Steiner, 1996, ISBN 3515068279
- Das antike Kreta, München : Beck, 2004, ISBN 3406508502 (In German)
- From Minoan farmers to Roman traders : sidelights on the economy of ancient Crete, Stuttgart : F. Steiner, 1999, ISBN 3515076212
- Historie und Historiker in den griechischen Inschriften : epigraphische Beiträge zur griechischen Historiographie, Steiner, Stuttgart, 1988, ISBN 3515049460 (In German)
- Heidelberger Althistorische posts and Epigraphic Studies. Vol. 24, Steiner, Stuttgart 1996, ISBN 3515068279
- Books edited
- Unveiling emotions. Vol. I: Sources and methods for the study of emotions in the Greek world, Stuttgart : F. Steiner, 2012, ISBN 9783515102261
- Unveiling emotions. Vol. II: Sources and methods for the studEmotions in Greece and Rome: texts, images, material culture, Stuttgart : F. Steiner, 2012, ISBN 9783515106375
- "Mnemosyne - A Journal of Classical Studies". Archived from the original on 2017-09-02. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- Leading Ancient Historian Angelos Chaniotis Joins the Faculty of the Institute for Advanced Study, IAS press release, June 10, 2008.
- "Baden-Württemberg Research Prizes: 1989-2014" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- Home page of Angelos Chaniotis at the Institute for Advanced Study
- Home page of Angelos Chaniotis at All Souls College, Oxford
- Papers of Angelos Chaniotis in Propylaeum-DOK A Digital Repository of Classical Studies maintained Heidelberg University Library
- Curriculum vitae of Angelos Chaniotis at the Institute for Advanced Study