An Officer and a Gentleman (musical)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs a plot summary. (March 2020)
An Officer and a Gentleman, The Musical is a stage musical based on the original movie, written by Douglas Day Stewart. It had its world premiere May 18, 2012 at the Lyric Theatre in Sydney, Australia. The musical closed six weeks later on July 1.
|An Officer and a Gentleman|
|Book||Douglas Day Stewart|
Sharleen Cooper Cohen
|Basis||1982 film An Officer and a Gentleman|
|Premiere||May 18, 2012: Lyric Theatre in Sydney, Australia|
2018 UK tour
It was co-produced by John Frost and Sharleen Cooper Cohen. The book was written by Douglas Day Stewart and Sharleen Cooper Cohen and the score was written by Ken Hirsch and Robin Lerner. It was directed by Simon Phillips. It starred Ben Mingay as Zack Mayo and Amanda Harrison as Paula Pokrifki.
A new version of the musical will make its premiere at Curve in Leicester, England in April 2018 before touring the UK. It will be directed by Nikolai Foster and use songs from the film's soundtrack such as "Up Where We Belong", "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", "Toy Soldiers", "Alone", "Don't Cry Outloud" and "Material Girl", opposed to the musical's original score by Hirsch and Lerner.
The Sydney production received mixed reviews. In response to a highly negative review in The Australian, calling the show a "bloodless facsimile" of the film, author Stewart published a rebuttal defending the production and attacking the critics for their "eclectic, overly intellectual point of view". When the show's closing was announced, producer John Frost told a reporter that an American tour was still a possibility, after revisions were made to the show.
The show was nominated for five Helpmann Awards including "Best Musical 2012". Bert LaBonte won for "Best Supporting Actor".
Cast and charactersEdit
|Character||Original Australia Cast||Original UK Tour Cast|
|Zack Mayo||Ben Mingay||Jonny Fines|
|Paula Pokrifki||Amanda Harrison||Emma Williams|
|Sid Worley||Alex Rathgeber||Ian McIntosh|
|Lynette Pomeroy||Kate Kendall||Jessica Daley|
|Sgt. Emil Foley||Bert LaBonté||Ray Shell|
|Byron Mayo||Bartholomew John||Darren Bennett|
|Esther Pokrifki||Tara Morice||Rachel Stanley|
|Ramon Guiterrez||Josh Piterman|
|Taniya Seegar||Zahra Newman|
|Charlie Redding||Josef Brown|
|Amy Cantrowitz||Sheridan Harbridge|
|Young Zack Mayo||Michael Kilbane
A promotional disc of five songs was released including "Up Where We Belong", performed by Ben Mingay, Amanda Harrison, Kate Kendall and Alex Rathgeber, and "If You Believe In Love", sung by Amanda Harrison.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2012||Helpmann Awards||Best Musical||Sharleen Cooper Cohen, John Frost||Nominated|
|Best Direction of a Musical||Simon Phillips||Nominated|
|Best Choreography in a Musical||Andrew Hallsworth||Nominated|
|Best Female Actor in a Musical||Amanda Harrison||Nominated|
|Best Male Actor in a Supporting Role in a Musical||Bert LaBonte||Won|
|Theatre People Pro Choice ||Best Actress||Amanda Harrison||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Bert LaBonte||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Alex Rathgeber||Nominated|
|Best Director||Simon Phillips||Nominated|
|New Musical||Sharleen Cooper Cohen, John Frost||Nominated|
- Adam Fulton, "Show won't go on: musical fails to deliver on world premiere fanfare", The Australian, June 12, 2016.
- "An Officer and A Gentleman Musical Cast Announced". Stage Whispers. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Exclusive: New musical adaptation of An Officer and a Gentleman to open in Leicester". WhatsOnStage.com. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Review Roundup: An Officer and a Gentleman in Sydney", BroadwayWorld.com, May 20, 2012 (summary and links to other reviews).
- David Ng, "'An Officer and a Gentleman' writer hits back at critic", Los Angeles Times, May 23, 2012.
- "Bid to save sinking musical An Officer And A Gentleman". The Daily Telegraph. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "An Officer and a Gentleman The Musical: Songs for Download". Stage Whispers. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "Helpmann Award Nominees 2012". live Performance Australia. Archived from the original on 2012-11-02. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- Simon Parris (28 November 2012). "Theatre People Pro Choice 2012 Winners Announced!". Theatre People. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to An Officer and a Gentleman: The Musical.|
|This musical theatre related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|