This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ampthill Rugby Club is an English rugby union team based in Ampthill, Bedfordshire. The club runs six senior teams and the full range of junior sides. As of the 2019-20 season, the first XV will play in the RFU Championship, the second tier of the English rugby union system.
|Full name||Ampthill Rugby Club|
|Union||East Midlands RFU|
|Ground(s)||Dillingham Park (Capacity: 3,000)|
|Director of Rugby||Mark Lavery|
In 2013–14, the team finished second but lost the promotion play-off to Darlington Mowden Park of the National League 2 North. In 2014–15, they again finished second having been transferred to National League 2 North. They beat Bishop's Stortford, the National League 2 South runner-up in the promotion play-off at Dillingham Park, 19–10.
For the 2015–16 season Ampthill have agreed a player development programme with Saracens, allowing young players contracted to Saracens to play for Ampthill. Saracens academy manager Don Barell commented: “Saracens are looking forward to having our young players at Ampthill. Ralph Adams-Hale and Billy Walker will benefit from the loan and it will allow the young players to gain the valuable rugby experience that Ampthill can offer. It is a club with good ambition and we are looking forward to seeing them compete in National 1 next season”. Ironically, Saracens senior players will also benefit from the experience that playing at Ampthill can offer in 2020-21, following their relegation from the Premiership for wage cap infringements.
- Midlands 3 East (South) champions: 2006–07
- Midlands Division 2 East champions: 2008–09
- National League 3 Midlands champions: 2012–13
- East Midlands Wells Bombardier Cup winners (6): 1996, 1997, 2003, 2009, 2012, 2013
- National League 2 (north v south) promotion play-off winners: 2014–15
- National League 1 champions: 2018–19
|Club||Played||Won||Drawn||Lost||Points for||Points against||Points diff||Tries for||Tries against||Try bonus||Losing bonus||Points|
|Green background is the promotion place. Pink background is the relegation place.|
Source: "Greene King IPA Championship". England Rugby.
Note: Flags indicate national union as has been defined under WR eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-WR nationality.
- "...reformed after WWII in 1950 the current club...""A brief History of Ampthill & District Community RUFC". Ampthill & District RUFC. Archived from the original on 10 November 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- Club website home page - headlines section Archived 11 June 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- "National League 2 South". RFU. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "National 2 Promotion Playoff". Archived from the original on 29 April 2015.
- "Ampthill & Saracens Player Development Programme". Ampthill RUFC. Archived from the original on 11 June 2015.
- http://www.emru.co.uk/clubimages/10/documents/Previous%20winners%20of%20the%20WB%20EM%20Snr%20Cup.doc[permanent dead link]
- "Ampthill 1st XV Squad". Ampthill RUFC. 5 August 2019.
|This English rugby union team article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|