The American Archivist is a biannual peer-reviewed academic journal and the official publication of the Society of American Archivists. It covers theoretical and practical developments in archival science, particularly in North America. The journal contains essays, case studies, perspectives, and reviews of recent books and web resources. Contents are freely available to the public, except for the six most recent issues, which are viewable only to subscribers and society members. Online supplements are published irregularly and without access restrictions. Authors retain copyright of their work and license publication to the journal; the content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial 3.0 United States License, except where otherwise noted.
|Edited by||Amy Cooper Cary|
|Delayed (after 3 years)|
|ISO 4||Am. Arch.|
The American Archivist was first published in January 1938. It appeared quarterly until 1998, when it switched to a biannual rhythm. In 2011 the journal published its first online supplement, which featured content from the Society of American Archivist's 75th annual conference. The SAA began publishing with Allen Press in 2015.
- Theodore Calvin Pease, 1938-1946
- Margaret Cross Norton, 1946-1949
- Karl L. Trever, 1949-1956
- G. Philip Bauer, 1957-1959
- Ken Munden, 1960-1968
- Harold T. Pinkett, 1968-1971
- Edward Weldon, 1972-1975
- C.F.W. Coker, 1975-1978
- Virginia C. Purdy, 1978-1981
- Frank H. Mackaman, 1982
- Eva S. Moseley, 1982
- Harold P. Anderson, 1982
- J.R.K. Kantor, 1982
- Mary Elizabeth Ruwell, 1983
- Charles R. Schultz, 1983-1985
- Julia Marks Young, 1986-1988
- David Klaassen, 1989-1991
- Richard J. Cox, 1991-1995
- Philip B. Eppard, 1996-2005
- Mary Jo Pugh, 2006-2011
- Gregory S. Hunter, 2012-2018
- Christopher A. Lee, 2018-2020
- Amy Cooper Cary, 2021-present
- "The American Archivist". The Society of American Archivists. The Society of American Archivists. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Copyright" (Editorial policy). American Archivist. The Society of American Archivists. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "American Archivist-Abstracts and Author Bios (Index)". Society of American Archivists. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "American Archivist Online Supplement to Volume 74". Society of American Archivists. Society of American Archivists. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Hunter, Gregory S. (1 March 2015). "The American Archivist Online: Version 2.0". The American Archivist. 78 (1): 3–6. doi:10.17723/0360-9081.78.1.3. ISSN 0360-9081. Retrieved 27 February 2022.
- "SAA Leadership History". The Society of American Archivists. The Society of American Archivists. Retrieved 14 August 2014.