Ambra Battilana Gutierrez (born 15 May 1992) is an Italian model who was a finalist for Miss Italy, and has been featured in GQ Italy. She was formerly Miss Piedmont. She was widely covered by American media for her part in exposing sexual abuse allegations against Harvey Weinstein.
Ambra Battilana Gutierrez
15 May 1992
In 2010, when 18 and known as Ambra Battilana, she attended a bunga bunga party associated with Silvio Berlusconi after she was spotted in a beauty contest and told she would be guaranteed a well-paid job as a weather girl for attending. She demanded to leave immediately once she realized that there were underage girls being used as prostitutes. She reported her experience to Italian magistrates.
Gutierrez was widely covered by the news after she alleged that Harvey Weinstein sexually assaulted her in 2015 while they were reviewing her portfolio. She said she barely spoke English at the time. She filed a police report that night, and the next day wore a wire while speaking with Weinstein. In the recording, he repeatedly asks her to come into his room while Gutierrez says things like, "I want to leave," "I don’t want to," and "I want to go downstairs." When she asked why he tried to assault her the day before, he said, "Oh, please, I’m sorry, just come on in," continuing, "I’m used to that. Come on. Please." When Gutierrez asks if he's used to groping people against their will, he responded with, "Yes." When asked why he grabbed her breast against her will, he said, "I won’t do it again." The recording has since been made public.
Despite the audio confession, the District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. decided not to press charges due to lack of evidence. In the following months, Gutierrez received widespread negative press in tabloids including several stories from "anonymous sources" in the New York Post following the incident after the recording was published. She stopped receiving modeling jobs. Gutierrez eventually signed a strict NDA with Weinstein, though she's stated she didn't really understand what she was signing at the time, and was trying to protect herself and her family from Weinstein since no one believed her.
- Farrow, Ronan (10 October 2017). "From Aggressive Overtures to Sexual Assault: Harvey Weinstein's Accusers Tell Their Stories". The New Yorker. ISSN 0028-792X. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "In cucina con Ambra Gutierrez, fotografata da Marco Leonardi". GQ Italia (in Italian). 22 November 2017. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- Squires, Nick (13 October 2017). "Italian beauty queen says her life was made a misery after claiming harassment by Harvey Weinstein". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Model Ambra Gutierrez says she was 'forced into exile' after trying to take down Harvey Weinstein". The Independent. 17 December 2017. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- Ronan Farrow (2019). Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators. Fleet. p. 56.
- Squires, Nick (13 April 2011). "Silvio Berlusconi 'encouraged indecent game at bunga-bunga party'". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- Farrow, Ronan (21 November 2017). "Harvey Weinstein's Secret Settlements". The New Yorker. ISSN 0028-792X. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- Amatulli, Jenna (10 October 2017). "How Gossip Media Smeared Weinstein Accuser Ambra Battilana Gutierrez". Huffington Post. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Ambra Battilana Gutierrez 'weighted' for Harvey Weinstein justice". NY Daily News. Retrieved 7 January 2018.