Amal Al Qubaisi
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Amal Al Qubaisi (born 18 October 1969) is currently the President of the United Arab Emirates Federal National Council. She is first female leader of a national assembly in the United Arab Emirates and the Arab world. Before holding the position she was the chairwomen of the Abu Dhabi Education Council.
Amal Al Qubaisi
Al Qubaisi in March 2017
|President of the Federal National Council|
|Assumed office |
18 November 2015
|Preceded by||Mohammad Al-Murr|
|Born||October 18, 1969|
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
|Alma mater||University of the United Arab Emirates|
University of Sheffield
|Awards||Abu Dhabi Award|
Career and EducationEdit
In 2000, Al Qubaisi earned her Ph.D. in Architectural Engineering from the University of Sheffield in the UK and holds the world’s only doctoral degree on the conservation of the UAE’s architectural heritage. She became an assistant professor of architecture at UAE University in 2000 which she held until 2006. As an architect, she has worked with UNESCO to document and preserve more than 350 historical sites in the UAE including Al Jahili and Al Hosn Forts.
In 2001, she was appointed President of the cultural heritage unit of Al Ain's Tourism and Economic Development Authority. She served as president until 2003.
In 2007, she was elected to be a member of FNC for Abu Dhabi, making her the first woman elected. President of the education, youth, media and culture committee. Member of health, labour and social affairs committee.
In 2011, Al Quabaisi was chosen as first deputy speaker of the FNC and became the first woman to chair a council session in 2013. In 2014, she was appointed as chairwomen of the Abu Dhabi Education Council.
- 2008, Abu Dhabi Award
- 2008, Middle East Excellence Award of Women Leadership, for being the most prominent female for her outstanding political achievement in 2007
- 2009, Abu Dhabi Medal of Honor
- 2014, Emirati Pioneers Award, for being the first Emirati woman elected to join the Federal National Council.
- 2016, Honorary Doctorate from the University of Sheffield
- "Sheffield alumna elected speaker of UAE Federal National Council | MUSE". www.sheffield.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- "FNC profiles: Advocate for the nation's daughters The National". www.thenational.ae. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- "FNC profiles: Advocate for the nation's daughters | The National". www.thenational.ae. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- "The Jury –Zayed Future Energy Prize". www.zayedfutureenergyprize.com. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- Editor, Samir Salama, Associate (2015-11-18). "First female Federal National Council speaker elected". GulfNews. Archived from the original on 2016-10-26. Retrieved 2016-10-25.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- UAEINTERACT. "UAE Interact, United Arab Emirates information, news, photographs, maps and webcams". www.uaeinteract.com. Archived from the original on 2016-06-23. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- Editor, Samir Salama, Associate (2013-01-22). "Dr Amal Al Qubaisi makes history". GulfNews. Retrieved 2016-10-25.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Reporter, By Samihah Zaman, Staff (2015-11-22). "Al Khaili to serve as acting Adec head". GulfNews. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- "gulftoday.ae | University awards honorary PhD to Amal Al Qubaisi". gulftoday.ae. Archived from the original on 2016-10-26. Retrieved 2016-10-25.