Alveley Halt was a halt on the original Severn Valley Line, situated between the villages of Highley and Alveley, in the English county of Shropshire. The station, which was not re-opened by the heritage Severn Valley Railway, has been replaced by the adjacent Country Park Halt around one-quarter of a mile (0.4 km) up the line.
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|1944||Station opens as Alveley Colliery Sidings|
|Unknown Date||Station renamed Alveley Colliery Halt|
|by June 1954||Station renamed Alveley Halt|
|9 September 1963||Station closes|
Ownership of the halt passed from the Great Western Railway to the Western Region of British Railways during the nationalisation of 1948. The Severn Valley Railway between Shrewsbury and Bewdley was closed to passenger and through goods traffic by the British Transport Commission in 1963. However, the southern section of track from the Colliery, which included the halt, remained open for coal traffic until the Colliery closed in January 1969.
The site today Edit
In summer 1973, the halt was demolished as the platform-face was collapsing towards the track. At the time, preparations were underway for the 1974 re-opening of the line by the Severn Valley Railway between Hampton Loade and Bewdley. Today, the former halt is a grass-covered piece of raised rough-ground, situated on the western side of the line adjacent to a level crossing. A section of GWR bridge rail, presumably a former signpost, still stands upright on the site.
The line passing through the halt is still active, and heritage trains from the Severn Valley Railway travel up it between Hampton Loade and Highley stations.
|Preceding station||Heritage railways||Following station|
|Hampton Loade||Severn Valley Railway
Station replaced by
Country Park Halt
- Shropshire History, ‘’Alveley Colliery’’ (Retrieved 4 June 2016)
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2007). Country Railway Routes, Kidderminster to Shrewsbury. Midhurst: Middleton Press. ISBN 978-1-906008-10-9.
- Marshall, John (1989). The Severn Valley Railway. Newton Abbot: David St John Thomas. ISBN 0-946537-45-3.
- SVR News Issue 29
- Station on navigable O.S. map North of Highley near Alveley Village
- Butt, R. V. J. (October 1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199. OL 11956311M.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.